cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Problems - PLUSNET v EE

ColinA
Hooked

Signal Problems - PLUSNET v EE

We have Plusnet and use an iPhone 8 Plus..

This has worked well as we have been using an EE SIGNAL BOOSTER, but this of course is now no longer supported and doesn't work..

If I use the PLUSNET SIGNAL CHECKER at my location, it says "You'll get good coverage outdoors and varying levels of coverage indoors" - I can confirm that we get almost nothing, and it just doesn't work...

If I go over to the EE SIGNAL CHECKER and put the exact same details in, same phone, same postcode, it says "You'll get excellent coverage indoors and outdoors"

I'm lost..?, Plusnet is using EE's system, masts and services etc..., how come it tells me something completely different..?

Should I ditch PLUSNET and move to EE..?, which would be a pain as I have everything with PLUSNET and I very much like their customer service and the package I have...

Any advice would be very much appreciated...

11 REPLIES 11
ColinA
Hooked

Re: Signal Problems - PLUSNET v EE

I would just also add that if I also use the BT MOBILE CHECKER (who also use the EE network), it too says I will get an "excellent" signal..

So, who is right here...?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ColinA  Welcome to the forum.

Whilst Plusnet do use the EE infrastructure, they do not have access to all of the frequency bands on the EE network. This can affect performance in some areas.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ColinA
Hooked

Aha!.., that could be the answer...

I guess I need to find someone who has an EE SIM at try it in our phone at this location...., that will confirm it one way or the other...

Thanks for your advice..., just wish EE did the same deals as PLUSNET... 🙄

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

PlusNet do not have access to Band 20 800mhz which may the problem

PlusNet do not say it's signal is the same as EE just that they use EE

" Plusnet Mobile is proud to use the UK's best network, EE. With 4G in more places than any other UK network you'll rarely struggle to fill those signal bars. "

There are many post on here about it going back years

ColinA
Hooked

I guess that is fair enough..., if EE gave PLUSNET all the services they would have little to offer as the PLUSNET deals seem so much better..., also the PLUSNET support is far superior  😉 (in my opinion having used both)

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Sadly I'm finding this issue too. I live in East Yorkshire, and although I have had service, it's not as good as it was when I used GiffGaff (as I understand it, they get a full service from O2).

Moving about from home to work, and recently on a short break a short distance away, has shown the failings of this setup, as I generally see only 2-3 bars of signal. Although I get a 4G badge showing, the Internet is not always stable either. On holiday I got zero signal, although my wife on GiffGaff had full signal and 4G, and generally gets a better service wherever we are.

Having a better 'deal' is OK if you get a usable service, but I'm waiting for a hospital call, so losing signal isn't convenient.

I agree about Plusnet's support too, their guys here are exemplary when it comes to that. However, I've found the support on the GiffGaff forums is also very good.

It's a shame, as the Plusnet package I'm on suits me perfectly as a 'deal', but if the signal isn't reliable, what's the point? I'm actually about to go back to GiffGaff (again!). I've used them a lot over the years, and keep going back, as even though they're far from the cheapest, they have given the best overall service.

I'm still with Plusnet for Broadband though, as that has been reliable and excellent (although I have discussed concerns over pricing and 'deals' there too).

Cheers.

Andy
Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Lyca Mobile uses O2 and has some very good deals better than GiffGaff

A friend uses them and finds them OK

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Deleted
ColinA
Hooked

It is quite amazing when you think about it, that we are now being sold 5G, but the truth is for many that they can't even get a 3G/4G signal..

This is happening in East Sussex in the Coopers Green / Uckfield area.., not exactly the back of beyond...

That old EE Signal Booster was a lifesaver..., so now we are faced with ditching Plusnet, which I really don't want to do..

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"Lyca Mobile uses O2 and has some very good deals better than GiffGaff

A friend uses them and finds them OK"

Correct re Lyca's "deals". However, unless your friend has found otherwise, their customer service (so-called help desk) and trying to speak to a human, is very lacking. As with many organisations now!

Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

I must admit, I picked the Plusnet deal because it was the best deal, a better price because I'm a Broadband customer.

GiffGaff probably has the worst 'deals', but, my experience with a variety of service providers has only found that the cheaper ones are not always the 'best' deals.

As far as customer service goes, I'd put Plusnet and Giftgaff on a par with each other. But even that is no help if you generally get a poor network service.

I'm happy to pay a few pounds more to get a better service, with equally good customer backup.

I'm always trying to shave a few pounds of cost, but usually to my regret.

For whatever reason, regardless of the technical aspects of the services provided (as resellers), GiffGaff consistently gave me a better network coverage wherever I used it.

Andy