cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I transfer to plusnet mobile?

Mashepherd

Re: Should I transfer to plusnet mobile?

Although the was a gap of a fair few hours between losing signal from my previous provider (giffgaff) to plusnet, the porting took within the 2 days and went relatively smoothly.
dazzh
Grafter

Well it didn't quite go according to plan.

Purchased my SIM on Wed 21 Dec.

Posted Thur 22 Dec.

Received Sat 24 Dec and was activated.

Put it into a spare phone on Sun 25 Dec and did the text method to port number from GiffGaff to Plusnet. Received a confirmation email that day that they have my request. I didn't expect anything to happen until Wed 28 Dec due to the PH's.

On the morning of Thur 29 Dec my GiffGaff number stopped working. I phoned them in the afternoon as my number had not transferred to be told it should activate later that day. Phoned back later that night as still not transferred to be told it will now be Friday.

Friday 30 Dec number still not transferred. Contacted Plusnet again to be told it will be later on in the day.

Saturday 31 Dec still not transferred. Contacted them again to be told it will now be Wed 3 Jan 2017 before it will be done.

So my number has not been transferred and I have no data either with the SIM card, I can make and receive calls with it.

I appreciate that at this time of the year everything can get backed up but how difficult would it be to put a message on their webpage about the delay in porting numbers over instead of leaving it with their generic response under their help section:   

"It normally takes one or two working days to move your mobile number over to us. You're entitled to reasonable compensation if there's a delay or something goes wrong that's our fault. If you call us we'll apply this compensation as a credit on your next bill.

Just give us a call if you think that's happened to you"

I did contact them and they are going to give me 1 weeks credit but I would rather have internet and the use of my phone number.

However lesson learned, don't do any thing like this again over Christmas/New Year.

madbanana
Grafter

So now to update on my second Giffgaff to PN number port, launched on the morning of 27th December (against my better judgement, but teenagers know all!) with a very brief call to CS - less than 24 hours later GG number had been disconnected and a quick reboot of the phone launched the PN SIM on the now former GG number.

All in all a great experience, I was expecting it to be far longer given the time of year.  Thank you PN Mobile and a Happy New Year to all!

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

dazzh... Have you tried re-booting the handset?  Mine needed a couple of re-boots before everything worked.

dazzh
Grafter

Well Tuesday has arrived and I'm just off the phone to PN as guess what..............my number has still not transferred over since I put the request in on 25 Dec 2016.

Getting a bit fed up with the response "it will be done at some point during the day" as I was told it would be done Thur 28 and then Fri 29 Dec 2016 and finally Tue 3 Jan 2016.

dazzh
Grafter

Well just off the phone to Plusnet.

They have no idea when my number will transfer now and also their are no supervisors available to discuss this with.

I've just sent a email to complain about the lack of information that the staff appear to have to deal with this matter.

I know that Plusnet staff monitor these forums but I'm surprised that none of them have commented on this post.

I appreciate that some individuals have ported their number without issue, why can't it be the same for all of us.

Anybody else reading this and porting their number my advice would be to phone them and don't use the text method as I did.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I don't believe that it's the text method of porting that's at fault as I used  that with no issues as have others on here.

dazzh
Grafter

I just think it would be better if you speak to someone when porting your number.

This way they could tell you if there are any issues or delays, plus the call is recorded and can be reviewed should you run into any issues.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

There's very, very few ports that haven't gone through and there's no way the agent you speak to will know if there's going to be a problem before it occurs as your details are passed on to a dedicated team who manage the porting process. Someone on here posted that it's a manually complex job and any issues wouldn't show (if at all) until then.

Phone calls, web chats, texts or emails will all be stored somewhere if they need to be reviewed for any reason.

dazzh
Grafter

I understand what your saying Colin but it's how they deal with us that are having issues, as highlighted in this forum numerous times.

Reading the comments on here I didn't expect any issues however obviously I do have one now.

It is PN that I'm dealing with so they cant put the blame onto another department, within their organisation, and leave it at that without doing something to try to address the issue or at least give a measured response.

I asked to speak to a supervisor to be told one will contact me within 48hrs, which is not acceptable so it appears that the buck stops with the agent which I don't think is really that fair.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

I actually work as a customer service agent (not PN Smiley ) and that is exactly the response you would get from us unless a manager agreed to speak to you at that time. The trouble is the manager can only tell you the same thing. The most the agent/manager can do is to pass on your details again and see if they can get an update from the department that does this. Our technical department people can drive us up the wall but there's no point in getting aggrieved at the agent on the line.

dazzh
Grafter

Well it's now been 1 week since the number I'm porting into PN became inactive and it's still not working.

So far I've phoned daily to see what is happening, tried live chat, spoke to a supervisor and PM'd a member of staff via the forum and but nobody is prepared to give any reassurance as to when it will go through.

I posted on here because I had concerns, prior to ordering, it looks as though, in my case, I was right to have these. I appreciate others have had no issues but it's how a company deals and rectifies it's problems is how it is measured.

Not a very nice experience compared to other providers I have used throughout the years.

dazzh
Grafter

I sought assistance from a member of staff on the forum to see if they could help. This was the reply I received.

I do apologise for the inconvenience and delay with your port and by looking at the account, I can see that it is still processing. This has been raised with our network engineers who will be working to get this completed for you as soon as possible. I'm afraid we don't have a timescale for this, but you will receive a text when your port is due to complete.

I don't know what "as soon as possible" is in PN terms but feel that it is not the same as for the rest of us.

So no further forward and it appears I have exhausted all avenues that are open for help.

dazzh
Grafter

To draw a line under this thread my number has finally ported over.

1. Port requested 25 Dec 2016.
  2. Number to be transferred stopped working 29 Dec 2016.
  3. Port complete 5 Jan 2017

To say that it has been frustrating for my family, friends and work colleagues whom I have had to text or explain the strange number calling them would be an understatement. 

Still it's done now and that what matters.

Thanks to all the contributors on the thread for their advice.

MrAitch

Hi dazzh. I was in the same situation - a giffgaff user considering switching to PN. I've just made the switch and, though it's still very early, everything's gone really easy so far. I'm in the process of getting my old number moved across right now. Fingers crossed that this is as easy as PN suggest.