cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short text code from Palpal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Short text code from Palpal

I did a transaction on Ebay last night at 1807 and paid with Paypal the transaction went through with no problem

I received a conformation email from Paypal a few minutes later

About an hour later I received another email from the seller to say they had posted the goods by Hermes complete with a tracking number.

Then at 2349 I received a short text message from PayPal using 62226 as follows

PayPal   Did you pay £128.50 GBP to xxx xxxxxx on 22 September 2019? Please reply 1 if yes or 2 if no   Reply needed

As PlusNet does not support short text codes I could not reply.

I have used PayPal many times ( for amounts over £500 ) and never had a text message asking me to confirm a payment its something new I was told when I called them.

So a warning to anyone who has a PlusNet mobile registered with PayPal you are going to have problems if PlusNet does not change their policy.  

It seems there is an increasing use of short text messages which we cannot reply to so more problems in the future.

Time for a change ?

Brian A

14 REPLIES 14
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Short text code from Palpal

Absolutely. I couldn't reply to a message from the bank and I have numerous messages from companies I don't want but can't  stop them via the short code they supply.

If paypal do that routinely I will be beggered.

I'll really need to look elsewhere for a mobile provider, shame as I like PN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mayfly ,

I totally agree with what you say but other posts on here about short codes I don't think anything will change.

When the short code was introduced to change mobile phone provider I thought something may change but PlusNet has said there is nothing going to change in the near future

Brian A

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @8BKA While I can't say when or if we'll be in a position to fully support short code messaging, you should be able to accept the transactions the old fashioned way by logging into your PayPal account at paypal.com

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Mayfly wrote:

It won't just be Paypal, it will be your credit cards and debit cards too as they begin to comply with the new banking regulations. Unfortunately, the answer of "log into your Paypal account" doesn't really help when you are stood in a queue trying to buy your shopping (there are now high street shops now that accept PP too). I think this is really going to bite PN in the jacksie if they don't see the wood through the trees soon.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone use Virgin Mobile

I have been looking at the £10 per month 12 month contract 5000 mins U/L texts 10GB Data with data rollover

After speaking to five people all over the world who did not understand what short texts code were I spoke to someone who said they were not part of the package but would cost 10p per text which I am very happy with because at least I can use them its a pity PlusNet don't do the same

Virgin don't use the 800 MHz 4G band like PlusNet but I'm not bothered about that as I find EE reception good anyway

If anyone uses Virgin what are your comments

Brian A

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Theres a few threads on the VM forums about it.

With some familiar ids

Apparently its not activated by default as they charge for the texts, but you enable it on your online account

eg

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Can-t-text-short-numbers/td-p/3765810

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous wrote:

Virgin don't use the 800 MHz 4G band like PlusNet but I'm not bothered about that as I find EE reception good anyway

If anyone uses Virgin what are your comments

Brian A

What makes you think Plusnet has access to 800MHz?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I think the statement was that neither PN nor Virgin have access to the 800MHz band.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

DaveyH

I know PlusNet don't use the 800Mhz there have been many posts about it but PlusNet still suggest users get the full EE network 

BT who own EE do

Brian A

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you RobC 

That's good information and only 10p per text for how many I will make its good value

As said before its a pity PlusNet don't start doing it because very soon I think mobile users will need to use short texts

Brian A

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Sorry. It read to me as though you thought Plusnet offered 800 MHz, when of course it doesn't.

I'm well aware of the BT groups company structure thanks. BT mobile also has access to 800MHz, VoLTE and Wifi Calling like it's more upmarket sibling incidentally...

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@Marksfish wrote:

@Mayfly wrote:

It won't just be Paypal, it will be your credit cards and debit cards too as they begin to comply with the new banking regulations. Unfortunately, the answer of "log into your Paypal account" doesn't really help when you are stood in a queue trying to buy your shopping (there are now high street shops now that accept PP too). I think this is really going to bite PN in the jacksie if they don't see the wood through the trees soon.

Mark

@Marksfish Exactly, I can't see how anyone who uses a credit / debit card will be able to shop without short-code texts, which is one of the reasons we had to leave Plusnet.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

Then at 2349 I received a short text message from PayPal using 62226 as follows

PayPal   Did you pay £128.50 GBP to xxx xxxxxx on 22 September 2019? Please reply 1 if yes or 2 if no   Reply needed

As PlusNet does not support short text codes I could not reply.

I have used PayPal many times ( for amounts over £500 ) and never had a text message asking me to confirm a payment its something new I was told when I called them.

Brian A

@Anonymous Hi, as a PayPal user I can confirm that they are using short--code texts to verify some purchases. I've received several.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Quote fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update from PayPal received today

It is not necessary for you to reply to those messages, they are just authorization messages to let you know what is happening on our account, even if you do not reply to them the transaction gets processed, you need not worry about it.

Thank you for choosing PayPal have a lovely day ahead.

Why send the message then as I also get an email confirmation of the transaction

Brian A