cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code texts being considered - or not?

FIXED
Woodworm

Re: Short code texts being considered - or not?

You might like to look around. I got a deal that suited me exactly - with short codes - and saved £4 a month
steve27
Dabbler

historically short code texts were normally used for game/gambling and other types of activity costing money some couldn't afford and blocking them was possibly/probably a good thing for the majority of users,nowadays they are used by establishments like banks,hospitals,doctors,charities etc and so are pretty useful:-anybody thinking they are not try getting through to a hospital by phone at the moment when you can't simply reply using the short number they provide to text to!

I for one are not wanting or expecting this service to be included in you free text allowance and would willingly pay to use this,not sure if lots on here know as well but as an aside did you know you have to actually activate 0800 dialling and it isn't(well wasn't but maybe now) active by default:-0800 numbers were blocked even though they are supposed to be free

Wibblyp
Rising Star

For whatever reason short codes are and will remain unavailable with PN. If, like me, you have no alternative to another network, then why can't we make it financially viable for them ? Every short code costs 20p for example. I'd happily pay that for the times I've needed to.

steve27
Dabbler

I have just requested my pac code over this and like others I'm moving elsewhere over this issue been waiting ever since I joined ,and found out a few weeks later they aren't supported,to be keep being told "it's something they are looking into" when getting my pac code they offered me an excusive deal to keep my custom:-worse than what I am on now!

steve27
Dabbler

bit of an updte re my position,I called them to tell them their exclusive offer was nowhere as good as what I was already  on,what happened was they gave me an exclusive offer that was actually far better than one I am on, so good in fact I think I will take it and put up with the lack of short code texting for a bit longer:-until it starts becoming a real issue again like a few weeks back,maybe have a re-think if that happens 

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Speculation aside, I must assume that contractural arrangements are in place with EE. As such my previous point stands, charge for the short code privilege and pass it on to whomever. Happy to pay 20p for the ability to do so. Every time. Surely that resolves any and all issues ? Use it or not. 

Snap63

I couldn't agree more! I joined Plusnet mobile to "marry up" with my Plusnet landline & broadband, but had no idea that short code texts were not supported until I tried to donate to Children in Need 4 days ago.

All I got was a message in red saying "Not sent. Tap to try again"...

After 4 days of repeatedly retrying, clearing the cache & various alterations in the settings menus, I thought it was a fault on my LG phone!!

I was previously with Virgin Mobile, actually the same monthly price, who also use the EE network - with full access to short code sms at a flat rate of 20p per message.

Thank you to the community forum for highlighting this ridiculous policy at Plusnet. I thought the short code sms service was universally accepted, but obviously not.

Come on Plusnet - I'm proud to live in Sheffield - don't let the side down!!
briston
Aspiring Pro

The unavailability of short code texts is now becoming a problem for me. Add to that Plusnet cannot use the 800Mhz band and I move about in a rural area the low cost is low for a reason. As my broadband is up for grabs now is the time to look around.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  briston,

When you look round remember that EE Broadband customers who have an  EE Mobile phone   automatically   receive an extra 5GB of Data to their mobile account 

Not just 2GB as with PlusNet and you have to jump through hoops to get it

HD

briston
Aspiring Pro

Well @Anonymous you prompted me to look at EE. I have 2 mobiles and 1 broadband contract with Plusnet. As from about Tuesday when the SIM arrives, it will be 1 mobile and 1 broadband. I will benefit using short code texts plus the use of the 800Mhz band, 6 months of free Britbox. It really didn't take long to decide. The downside, 12 month contract. I'll take my chances in that one.