cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code texts being considered - or not?

FIXED
Highlighted

Re: Short code texts being considered - or not?

I'm going to take your advice @dvorak. The attitude to customers asking for a perfectly reasonable service is a bit pants really. Off I go.
Highlighted

A year has passed since the so called Answer was posted. Sorry but my patience has been depleted to -10

By this time next week I shall be with a new provider. Good bye.

Highlighted
Grafter

The answer to the question is yes they are being considered. They will however not be implemented in our lifetimes or the lifetime of the universe, until it becomes profitable for Plusnet to do so. I mentioned this issue along with others ages ago and received the normal boring platitudes from Plusnet. It's like listening to politicians who refuse to answer a question. Do they think saying " no " is something the general public are unable to accept ? I also wish it had been made clear from the moment of joining Plusnet that this service is not provided. As previously stated few people have the time or inclination to trawl through large blocks of " terms and conditions", which is our failing but I for one would have reconsidered joining Plusnet

Short numbers are commonplace in many sectors, banking, media, marketing etc, they provide a quick alternative to enabling certain functions. They are useful and helpful.

I do wonder why the service is not offered as an extra to the monthly contract. I doubt very much that any extra hardware would be required, a little tweaking with the firmware maybe and readily available software boltons. All of this would be easy to cost and the wholesale costs to whoever are easily factored in. This would then allow those that want the service to do so and those that do not maintain their standard monthly cost. Plusnet customers would then be able to decide for themselves whether it is a cost beneficial service or not.

All of the above demonstrates Plusnets minimalist service ethos. I expect many of us would never have joined Plusnet, had their pricing structure been higher. I generally consider the service provided is value for money. I for one would not be adverse to paying an extra few pence a month to receive the service.

regards

paul

Highlighted
Grafter

For those that are interested, here's a snapshot of Plusnets accounts to year end 2019. Figures are rounded and approximations to enable easy reading. Please don't carp on about the £1m discrepancy. It's just creative accounting.

profit     £186m

wages. £119m

tax.       £18m

profit.    £50m

Profit for the previous year was £40m so an increase of 25% year on year.

One would have thought, that with Plusnet netting £1,000,000 per week they would be considerate enough to provide this service at cost.

regards

paul

Highlighted
Dabbler

EE offer this service,both plusnet and EE are BT companies,pretty sure there could be some way round this!

Highlighted
Rising Star

By the same argument though, Giffgaff & O2 are both owned by Telefonica.
The point being, different brands have different offers.
Highlighted
Dabbler

it wasn't a general comment I made regarding short code text but was in reply to post no 9 regarding the commercial agreement:-

@KoolFork wrote:

Can someone from PlusNet please explain why this feature is not available?

Technical limitations that arise from our commercial agreement with EE to resell their service make it difficult for us to offer Short Code messaging services. 

Surely 2 parts of the same company should be able to resolve issues in "commercial agreements"!

also giffgaff is a total pay as you go service with no contract as such,plunet may be cheap but you have a contract and they credit check you before allowing you to join,so not anything like the same animal

Highlighted
Grafter

I understand that Plusnet does not have a direct agreement with EE, but deal with French company Transatel who provide MVNO services to many companies worldwide.