cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code texts being considered - or not?

FIXED
Holla0406

Re: Short code texts being considered - or not?

It’s not that I can’t donate at all, it’s that I can’t donate via a quick text... which I do do spur of the moment when watching tv and there’s a program or advert on.
KoolFork

I have now left plusnet because of the sore code issue. Some of the banks use short codes to approve debit and credit card transactions. Not being able to respond requires an endless wait to talk to the bank's call centre.

It just got too painful.

If you look how old this thread is, you will see that plusnet don't really care about this issue.

Holla0406

UPDATE have had a call from
Nicola from the CEO’s office that they are working on this and they are listening to customers... expect it in months rather than years. They appreciate it’s not helpful from a charitable perspective but also many other use cases as some of you have pointed out. They are looking at some of the EE services and seeing what Plusnet customers need, and this is one of those things.

Not sure if it’ll require a new sim tho. At least we have something which is good.
sweetpeas

Wow, what happened to customer focus. Clearly if plusnet take your view to what is a genuine shortcoming in the mobile service they provide they most certainly will lose custom. I'm out at the first opportunity. Thank you and goodnight.
deeyay

Well it's not just about charity, although that's very disappointing and has been an issue for years.

I had a message this week from my local NHS Trust requiring a short text reply. Great!!!!

Just not good enough in 2020

Was with Tesco mobile before and there was no problem

Holla0406

Perhaps if people can add use cases here it’ll give Plusnet more incentive to assess priority of this and put it in for customers. I’m sure they have a few but NHS service is a very strong point.

I received a follow up email from the lady I spoke to before and sounded more vague as mentioned ‘if’ which sounds less certain it’s in the pipeline. Will make sure she has link for this thread.
ashn
Dabbler

After many years with Plusnet and PayPal, just had a text message from a PayPal short code after I made a purchase, asking me to reply with Y to confirm that the mobile on my account was correct. Just hoping the lack of confirmation doesn't have any effect on my PayPal account, else I'll sadly have to be off to somewhere that does support it.

Holla0406

Another example of where not having short code is a problem is when I receive advertising or promotional messages and at the bottom it says ‘reply STOP’ to xxxxx but I can’t so I don’t know how else to easily stop all these msgs... therefore I just keep receiving them.

If anyone knows a workaround fix for this then please let me know in the meantime! Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do a search for Short text codes there are 28 posts going back a few years and still nothing has been done just blaming EE.

With these short codes being used more by various services and companies ( two rate verification from banks is an important thing ) if you think they are a priority the only thing to do is to move to another provider but check first if they do them before you jump.

PlusNet should make tell people that short codes are not used and not hide it in the small print.

It's like most things you get what you pay for or in this case not get what you pay for.

nontechmike
Hooked

My 12 month contract is now up and I am looking at who to place my mobile business with going forward.  Can Plusnet confirm when the short messaging service (which has been available with the "parent company" EE for many years) is going to be made available to Plusnet subscribers.

Since practically all other mobile providers support short code SMS I guess there won't be much difficulty finding someone to move to that does support short code SMS if Plusnet continue to just talk about it as something they may introduce later - you've been saying this for literally years now.

Let's have a definitive meaningful answer now please.  Remember actions speak louder than words - if you really care about Customer satisfaction activate this now.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

On 23 May 2019

@JonoH wrote:

For clarity, we may introduce them in the future. As of now blanket support for shortcode messages is not planned.

@nontechmike 

If you're expecting anything more meaningful or definitive this side of Christmas, I fear you will be disappointed.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anonymous
Not applicable

If PlusNet do introduce Short Codes I think they should be an opt in feature because there are many people who don't want them as who do look at the previous posts 

KoolFork

Just logged on to unsubscrbe from this thread. I'm now with SMARTY on a rolling 30 day contract - 30GB for £10.

I left PlusNet because of the short code problem - principally because Barclays use it to verify transactions. Having to call their Customer Services was not fun. (They cared about the problem in much the same way as PlusNet.)

I had a 12 month contract too, so couldn't leave straightaway. If everyone started leaving (most PlusNet contracts now seem to be 30 days) for this reason, PlusNet would quickly address the issue. It clearly isn't a big problem for them. When I explained why I was leaving, the just offered me more data.

It's all very well talking about Cooling Off Periods, but I suspect the problem isn't recognised that quickly (14 says). When my short code replies were rejected, it never occurred to me that it was a PlusNet limitation. As I recall, this happened several times before I contacted PlusNet.

It's all very well falling back on the T&Cs, but who reads the T&Cs in detail? Short codes are, in my view (and presumably in the minds of Barclays, Paypal, etc), standard features, yet PlusNet hides this limitation under Premium Services in their T&Cs.

Good luck with your campaign.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KoolFork ,

That's a very good price SMARTY  use the  Three network so OK in my area

Can you confirm that you can do Short Texts and how much they cost ?

japitts
Rising Star

@nontechmike wrote:

Since practically all other mobile providers support short code SMS I guess there won't be much difficulty finding someone to move to that does support short code SMS if Plusnet continue to just talk about it as something they may introduce later - you've been saying this for literally years now.

Different providers offer different services, and charge different prices to cover those.