cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Code numbers - Will they work anytime soon?

FIXED
spdrake
Hooked

Short Code numbers - Will they work anytime soon?

The only thing stopping me from signing up to Plusnet mobile is the lack of support for SMS Short Code numbers. These are quite often used by Google, Facebook, banks, etc in their 2-Step Verification security checks.

Are there plans to sort out the Short Code issue very soon or is this someting that is not going to happen?

Tags (1)
31 REPLIES 31
SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Re: Short Code numbers - Will they work anytime soon?

Hi spdrake

Thanks for getting in touch! This isn't something we're planning to implement in the immediate future, however we are aware that this is something customers would like to be implemented and are keeping this in mind for the future. 

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fix

Correct me if I'm wrong, but receiving texts from shortcode numbers is supported - I've never had any trouble - it's sending to shortcode numbers that's not supported. So no issue with verifications etc., unless it requires you to reply to a shortcode no.

spdrake
Hooked

Thanks. I wasn't aware that it was only outgoing texts that had the trouble.

Kryten
Rising Star

Well it doesn't work for me. I'm trying to reply to an NHS text for rating the service and it's not delivering it.

ginnym
Grafter

Short codes and the lack of wifi calling are reasons I won't be renewing my Plusnet contract.  I've been a Plusnet broadband customer for more years than I care to remember and I switched from EE as soon as Plusnet launched their mobile service.  At no stage was it explained that I wouldn't receive the same level of network service else I wouldn't have switched - it amounts to mis-selling as far as I'm concerned.

Kryten
Rising Star

Interesting. I've been with Plusnet for broadband and phones for about 10 years (I think), I also just switched to their mobile service to find they are actually incapable of providing a proper VAT invoice without a special request for one each month. As a BT company, I am amazed at this poor service, but then there is no shortage of complaints about BT either.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

You're paying a fraction of what you'd pay on EE (part of the same family btw) and you think you were going to get exactly the same service? That's not mis-selling on Plusnets side but a lack of research on yours I'm afraid (totally unrealistic too).

Kryten
Rising Star

Well OK, if you say so. It's not sold as a cut down service though is it? It does not say for example, there are features you simply will not get with this deal. And the shortcomings of Plusnet mobile service should in all honesty be highlighted in bold emphasis as much as the deal's best points. They are equally as important. Sorry, but there's no getting away from that.

ginnym
Grafter

The only thing I'm guilty of is signing up too early before issues such as the lack of wifi calling became apparent through user feedback.  In absence of that kind of user feedback and in the absence of Plusnet making it clear which EE services wouldn't be provided, I was unable to make the kind of informed choice I should have been able to make.  I feel I was lured into the deal by the promise that I was getting the special rate because I was such a longstanding phone and broadband customer - I don't think under the circumstances that was an unrealistic thing to believe at the time and with the information available to me.

Kryten
Rising Star

I'm sure Colin, the aspiring forum professional will be along shortly to educate you Ginnym.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

No point in trying to educate you kryten is there, there's clueless and then there's kryten.

rottyros

You mean you're NOT ALLOWED by EE

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi rottyros,

As an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) and not an MNO (Mobile Network Operator), there are only so many features that we can provide and I'm afraid, short code numbers, are not a service that we currently support. 

The suggestion to introduce this, has been fed back to the relevant department previously. If we are to implement this to the network in the future, we'll be sure to let our customers know.

- Rebeka 

DavidWR

This becoming more of a problem, even my hospital is now send details of appointments and asking me to confirm attendance and satisfaction. Any new progress?