Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Comparison

AndyH2
Dabbler

Service Comparison

Hello All,

I am considering joining Plusnet mobile as they have some really good deals. There does however seem to be many mixed reviews but we all know that people tend to only review when things are bad and rarely credit a good service.

I am nervous after being with EE for over 20 years without any issues, they are just not competitive anymore. 

Are people getting good coverage, do any previous EE customers see any performance change?

Hopefully I can get some straight and constructive answers!

Thank you  Smiley

15 REPLIES 15
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Service Comparison

I’ve only ever used EE PAYG Data sim’s so can’t compare EE and Plusnet in terms of calls and SMS but data is much the same speed wise AFAIK though if you got a top of the range phone some say you don’t get the faster speeds you get with EE but I get over 40 Mb/s down and about 20+ up load here in Bristol.

Coverage should be the same but again if you have the latest phone with Wifi Calling and the use of the 800 MHz band you will lose that part of the service.

For most folk the porting your number in seems to be the biggest gripe but of my 3 PN sim’s only one had a number ported in and that was no trouble for me.

AndyH2
Dabbler

Thank you Chris.

I don't buy hi end phones or have the EE plus speeds. My current speed is ample and not as fast as my Vodafone data connection, which is controversial!

Number porting is very important, I have had the same number for years. Again, mixed reviews on this subject. 

I would say that the online chat has been very good, always straight through to support and answered questions well. Averaging 20 to 30 minutes to get through to EE at the moment, which is not too good!

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Coverage may not be as good as EE, as a Virtual Network Operator PN are not able to use all the frequencies that EE use.

I didn't port my previous no.

The sending of Short Code Texts is not supported.

As its a 30 day rolling contract you have not got too much to lose by giving it a try. You can start off with a £5 deal then if you are happy move to another deal at your next billing date if you want to. I'm happy with mine.

AndyH2
Dabbler

Thanks azc.

A lot of controvesy over the frequencies. Most regulators claim that everything should be equal. My main concern is when I am out on the east coast, which can be a patchy area. I have no problem at the moment other than bank holidays when pretty much everyone in the area struggles regardless of provider.

The price of the contract makes it low risk. May try the SIM and not leave EE until I am certain it is okay. To be fair to EE, they have offered me a reasonable deal but it still doesn't compare to Plusnet. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote marks removed.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you looked at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/ which use the 3 network? They have some very cheap packages. I switched my Orange number (originally t-mobile) to them with no bother at all.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH2
Dabbler

Not really heard anything positive over ID. They aren't in the running for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree with azc 

I was a Life mobile user set up via USwitch on a very good deal (after being with Orange and then EE from the start I had a 07973 number then it was taken over by PlusNet ) because the cost kept increasing.

PlusNet say their cost will not increase unless you change your plan will have to wait and see.

I have had no problems the few times I've called PlusNet via the 500 number I've been answered very quickly.

My number  was ported very quickly after getting the PAC from EE you will get the hard sell to try and keep you with EE.

As for coverage my friend is on an EE twelve month plan and there is  no difference between her reception on her phone and mine both 4G.

We go on holiday to Hunstanton on the east coast and coverage is excellent.

I recommend you give it a try USwitch are doing a good deal depending what you need 3.5GB 3000 mins UL texts for £8.00

Hope this helps

AndyH2
Dabbler

Thank you for the feedback.

Hunstanton is not a million miles away, I go just outside skegness.

Plusnet themselves are offering a very good deal. If all else is equal then it is a good offer.

Do you and your partner seem to have comparable download speeds?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done some basic tests not good news I think

PlusNet on Samsung J3 4G

Download 3.70 Mb/s   Upload 2.31 Mb/s

EE on Samsung S4 4G

Download 35.21 Mb/s Upload 5.57 Mb/s

Don't understand what this means but that's what  the test results were minutes apart

AndyH2
Dabbler

That seems extremely slow, I know of others who have done much better on Plusnet. I would expect to be up to 30 mbps.

One thing that I have noticed in the small print is regarding texts. It says media messages, which can include emoticons are chargeable. Anyone any experience of this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought I'm not at home with a better connection will try again later in the week.

Don't know anyone else on PlusNet to check what they get

EE charge for emoticons/pictures on texts and calling answer phone on certain plans.

That's why people use WhatsApp its free.

AndyH2
Dabbler

I know pictures are extra but I have never been charged for sending a basic emoticon. Calls to answer phone are inclusive in minutes but so are Plusnet.

Seems no definitive answer to whether it would be a good move or not.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Thought I’d double check my speed here on PN and confirm still as steady as ever with 40.64Mbps down and 22.07Mbps up.

Speed test don’t just rely on the network the test is being conveyed over but also involves the capability of the phone and in my test is a Huawei P7 Lite 2017.

AndyH2
Dabbler

Those speeds that I certainly would be happy with. So a mixed bag of results with different people.