cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting 2G 3G 4G and poor signal

nitrams69
Grafter

Selecting 2G 3G 4G and poor signal

Hi moved from virgin to plusnet hoping for better coverage but it is now worse. Can it be boosted with something i could buy.

On virgin when at my home address i used to select 2G only for calls which worked well but on plusnet it switches itself. When im showing 4G and dial a number it goes to 3G and drops call. Can i change setting manually? thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Selecting 2G 3G 4G and poor signal

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see the signal's not great. What does our coverage checker Here say the signal's like for your area?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nitrams69
Grafter

Hi Gandalf

Checker says 4G outdoors good with varying levels indoors. 3G outdoor and indoor Good. 2G great outdoor and good indoors. If i have 4g showing as soon as i dial it changes to 3G and usually drops connection. Why can't i just select 2g when at home? Im using same phone so it must be something in the plusnet config sent to phone.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It would change to 3G when you make a call, because we don't currently offer 4G calling (VoLTE) in our network. 

If you want to force your phone to use 2G, then you could turn 3G off. Depending on your handset, it should be an option. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nitrams69
Grafter

Hi

Using Motorola G7 power and it just shows "Prefered nework Type" 4G 3G 2G and no way to select. With the virgin sim installed i could seect which network type from here so it is something plusnet config has changed. Hopefully someone may know another way to do it. Can i boost the signal in my home in any way.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah OK. Not sure there is anything you can do to manually switch between 3G and 2G in that case.

I can't give you advice on boosting the signal as I've genuinely never used a booster before, but maybe someone from the Community with some experience regarding this might be able to help. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet