cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam or poor marketing

mac51
Grafter

Scam or poor marketing

I have had two texts saying they're from Wickes publicising a paint offer. I never give permission to contact via SMS and the strange thing (to me) is that there is an opt out by texting Wickes stop to a chargeable number (60090).

Is this a premium rate scam or not?

Can Plusnet tell me if I have been charged foe these messages?

5 REPLIES 5
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Scam or poor marketing

On a normal network, you would be able to forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) which would then allow the network to block the number, amongst other things. But, as +Net don't operate short code messages, it is leaving their members open to abuse of this sort that cannot be reported Sad That said, you could try it and see if it is one (of the few) enabled.

mac51
Grafter

Thanks for the information. I do not know whether it is a scam or a genuine marketing message yet. It surprises me if a genuine marketing campaign from a high street store would use a chargeable stop service but perhaps I'm just naive.

I have put the source mobile number into the PSA service checker but it is not recognised by them.

I'm still interested to find out whether I've been charged for the texts and I hope PN staff can pick this up.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing spam texts you're not wanting.

As it's not possible to send text messages to short code numbers (Apart from requesting a PAC or STAC) you shouldn't have been charged if you've tried to text 60090 as ultimately the text would've failed to send.

It may be worth contacting Wickes Here to manually request that you're opted out of such notifications.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mac51
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf. I didn't send a STOP message when I saw the warning that it was chargeable. I did email Wickes and asked them to stop the messages I was more interested in whether the incoming texts had been charged in some premium rate charge scam but it looks as though it was probably just Wickes marketing.

A big fail for Wickes marketing team as far as I'm concerned.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, ah thanks for the clarification. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your bills in your account as if you've been charged for receiving these texts the charges will appear on the bill itself.

If you need any further assistance please do feel free to let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet