Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

FIXED
coldboot
Hooked

Re: Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

RebekaPreston

I see that GiffGaff and Virgin are also Mobile Virtual Network Operators, yet GiffGaff (which I currently have a SIM for) and Virgin (which I used to use) both managed to send voicemail notifications correctly, so I am at a loss to understand why being a Mobile Virtual Network Operator in itself would mean voicemail notifications cannot be supported.

Are you able to explain this ?

stewartmanley
Hooked

There isn't just one sort of MVNO, sadly. It can range from a branded reseller (so called "skinny" MVNO) which only offers what the host gives them (they have no infrastructure at all), through "light" and "thick" to "full" MVNOs which lack only the radio infrastructure. Virgin and GiffGaff may be thicker MVNOs while I'm guessing that PN is more just a branded reseller.
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Do we need to read the entire thread?

* It's been confirmed the problem is with Plusnet servers.

* Plusnet themselves have confirmed there is a problem with the servers

* Plusnet have also said they do not plan to support VM notifications for all latest phones https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Samsung-s8-has-not-voicemail-notification/m-p/1513330/highlight...

Not much more you can do to fix this apart. It's not within out own hands.

@RebekaPreston Could you close the thread please as everyone is repeating and confusing themselves with the same issue.

If you do decide to fix  the problem then please just update the posts :).

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi stewartmanley,

From a network level, Voicemail notifications isn't a service that we support. I understand that some customers do receive notifications or intermittently however, we do advise that if notifications are received, then this is handset specific and due to the settings stored.

Although we have advised of this, we're still more than happy to look into it further for clarification from our Operations Team, as they're able to investigate at a higher network level.

I can assure you that all feedback is passed onto the relevant department and once we have an update, I'll be sure to post it to this thread. 

- Rebeka 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi coldboot,

Although we don't support this service, some customers do receive Voicemail notifications or receive them intermittently. This is due to the handset and the settings itself, therefore we would not advise that we don't support the Voicemail service as a whole.

We're happy to investigate and gain some clarification on this, which is why examples have been requested. 

Once I have an update, I'll be sure to post it to the thread.

- Rebeka 

SAABDude
Grafter

It's interesting that my Samsung J5 2017 on android 7 does get vm notifications if I use my fiancee's Plusnet SIM but not if I use my Plusnet SIM. So same handset same settings just different SIM.
My SIM in her handset (Samsung J5 2105 on android v6) gets vm notifications ok with her SIM and my SIM.
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 20882016,

appreciate your response however, I'd be unable to lock or close the thread, as this is processed by a Moderator on the forums.

As you're aware, I have advised of the next stage in this investigation and I'll be sure to post a response from the Team once I have one.

Thanks,

- Rebeka Smiley

Hooked
Fixes: 1

Thanks @RebekaPreston for clarifying to everyone. You might aswell have the your answers set to "copy" and "paste" Grin. Perhaps @bobpullen may have access to closing the thread and putting a message up to let everyone know this is a known issue and Plusnet may look into fixing it in future.

@SAABDude @HashBrown5 Hope this answers your issue. Not much you can do apart from have patience or move to another service. This is not going to be fixed by Plusnet anytime soon regardless of how much investigation anyone does. 

Dave777c
Dabbler

SAABDude, I've received my latest replacement PN SIM and it is working correctly re VM notification in my Samsung A3 running V7. At least at the moment!
I will monitor. I will also remove it from my handset while installing any further software updates.
pdwatling
Hooked

Thanks @RebekaPreston for the support. As this thread is now closed, how will we know if/when the problem is fully resolved?

I have installed the "A Better Voicemail" app as suggested earlier in the thread - and that works.

I'd like a better explanation of the problem, as I don't understand how a 3rd party app can work when the phone doesn't. I'm only asking for what I've had on every phone for the last 30 years, so what's changed?

SAABDude
Grafter

@pdwatling. Hi can you advise which handset and software version you are on. Also what alternative vm app are you using? I'm just using the handset based notification on my Samsung J5 2017 and then dialling up the vm system on the Samsung phone app. So no real intermediate vm app as such.
pdwatling
Hooked

I'm using a Samsung S8 on Android 7.  Since upgrading from a Moto X Play, I am no longer receiving any notifications. It sounds like you don't have this problem.  The app I am using really is called "A Better Voicemail".

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

SAABDude
Grafter

I and others do have the problem. No vm notification on the handset. Seems to be an issue with combination of handset and SIM. My handset with one SIM doesn't work, but with another SIM it does. Both SIMs are Plusnet ones. Weird problem.
Dave777c
Dabbler

pdwatling, thanks for the info about the 'better voicemail' app. My latest Plusnet SIM, after working for a few days, is now exhibiting the usual problems with VM notification. I've tried the 'better voicemail' app, and it is looking promising. One odd thing - every time I restart my handset the app's 'Enabled' setting (in Notifier settings) gets cleared, so I have to go back into the app and manually re-tick that option. Have you had this happen? (I have the 'Start on boot' setting ticked).

pdwatling
Hooked

I usually keep my phone switched on so I haven't come across that problem in the few days I've had the app. I've just restarted the phone and the app is enabled and working fine. Perhaps you should contact the developer?