Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

FIXED
coldboot
Hooked

Re: Samsung s8 has not voicemail notification

I have a dual SIM Samsung J7 Prime running Android 7.0. SIM1 uses PlusNet and SIM2 uses GiffGaff. Both use the same app for phone calls.

I used SIM1 (PlusNet) to leave a voicemail for SIM2 (GiffGaff). Immediately I saw a voicemail notification icon in the phone's status bar.

I used SIM2 (GiffGaff) to leave a voicemail for SIM1 (PlusNet). No voicemail notification icon appeared on the phone's status bar. I restarted the phone, and a voicemail notification icon appeared immediately after restart.

So I think we can definitely forget about this problem being anything to do with the mobile phone, its operating system, or the phone app it's using.

Voicemail notification is VERY old and VERY basic mobile phone functionality. It's just not good enough for it not to work on PlusNet !

HashBrown5
Dabbler

It's happening on iPhone 6.  It's nothing to do with the handset. 

SAABDude
Grafter

Coldboot. Very interesting with the dual SIM test. That to me would suggest that android v7 (nougat) is not the issue then. It seems the only thing that all of these symptoms have in common (be it iphone or android) is the Plusnet voicemail server and Plusnet SIMs - the former of which is what is generating (or not generating) the vm notification in the first place. Not quite sure how the replacement SIM "fix" fits into the equation - unless Plusnet issued a batch of dodgy SIMs that somehow aren't interacting with the vm server correctly?? I think the reboot issue is also a good pointer here. Something happens when the SIM registers on the network at reboot. My guess is that the phone proactively pings the vm server to see if any messages have been left whilst it has been turned off and that "pulls" the vm notification at that point. However during normal powered up time the phone is relying on a "push" vm notification directly from the vm server and this is what isn't happening in many but not all cases. Sound feasible guys?

jgfrancis
Grafter

Is this not something that Plusnet should be providing an answer to, rather than customers having to do the legwork to try to find an explanation.

SAABDude
Grafter

Absolutely but the standard (repeated) PN response can be seen scattered through this thread:

1. It's down to handset issues

2. PN only have a basic VM service which doesn't support vm notifications

Neither seem to carry much weight given the testing we've all done.

Thus I'm hoping that our testing will prompt PN to "take another look" at the issue.

My hope is that it really is down to the specific PN SIM and that PN will confirm this - thus we can simply request them to be re-issued as necessary and PM can advise users that this is the case if they hit this issue (so they don't get stuck doing a load of testing .....lol).

coldboot
Hooked

I have seen lots of people saying their voicemail notification icon is stuck on and found this recommendation for how to fix that (seems a bit like the mirror image of this problem) :

https://www.wikihow.tech/Reset-the-Voicemail-Icon-on-Your-Android-Phone

I tried clearing the cache for the 3 Phone Apps I found, but it didn't help. I thought clearing the data for the 3 apps was a bit drastic, so I didn't try that.

But I note that 1 solution recommended is :

"Contact your carrier's customer service department. Sometimes a stuck notification is due to an error with your voicemail inbox, which can be reset by your carrier. Explain that your voicemail icon is stuck on, and ask to have your inbox reset. This has fixed the issue for many users."

SAABDude
Grafter

Well not sure how, but the post I made earlier on today - re switching PN SIMs between our Samsung J5 handsets - seems to have "disappeared" - I certainly didn't delete it (why would I?).  Does anyone still have a copy of it (forwarded to their email) to save me re-typing it all?  Cheers.

HashBrown5
Dabbler

Just tried an interesting test.
My fiancee has a Samsung J5 2015 on Android v6 (marshmallow) (call it Phone A) with a PN SIM (call it SIM A)

I have a Samsung J5 2017 on Android v7 (nougat) (call it Phone B) with a PN SIM (call it SIM B)
In all tests to date Phone A with SIM A has reliably immediately received the vm notifications from PN vm server.
In all tests to date Phone B with SIM B has not received vm notifications from PN vm server.
Sometimes even a reboot does not force the vm notification - although sometimes it has.
So next natural test is SIM A in phone B and vice versa - does the problem travel with SIM B to phone A?
Well I've just tried exactly that - and got a slightly surprising result.
SIM A in Phone B and SIM B in Phone A all worked perfectly!!
Vm notifications received almost instantly on both phones. Tried this a couple of times and exactly the same results. To be honest I was expecting the problem to move with SIM B to Phone A.
Then I transferred SIM A back into Phone A and SIMB back into Phone B. And the results were as per the original testing - so Phone B / SIM B combination did not receive vm notifications but Phone A / SIM A did.
So my thoughts are that it isn't about the Phone or the SIM individually but some combination of both. Hence perhaps why PlusNet have suggested changing the SIM for a new one. That would also explain why other providers don't see the same problem on the same handset - different SIMs - and why it might appear specific to a handset on PN if it is related to which specific SIM is installed (as per my test above).
Conclusion - it will be interesting to see if the SIM swap for Dave777c has a lasting effect. The previously reported SIM replacement by HashBrown5 seemed to stop working after a few days.
Also it looks like PN vm server DOES support vm notifications - or else how is it working on both handsets with SIMs swapped over?
SAABDude
Grafter

Cheers HashBrown5 - that's the one.

Dave777c
Dabbler

Hi SAABDude
I've had an email detailing further testing you have done but i can't find it in the thread.
Your testing moving sims between v7 and v6 handsets is consistent with what i found.
Can we conclude the following?:
Pn sims can support vm notification (vmn) in v7 android handsets but something can happen to the pn sim that then prevents vmn from working and this is permanent and requires the sim to be replaced. However if the 'degraded' sim that can't support vmn on V7 handsets is moved to a V6 handset then vmn still works reliably on that V6 handset with that sim.
SAABDude
Grafter

Dave777c.

For some reason my post "disappeared" - thanks to HashBrown5 for re-copying it into the thread.  I did edit it before it disappeared but I certainly didn't delete it lol.

Yes, that could be the case.  My guess, as per yours is that it comes down to the SIM.  A "non-degraded" one will work in v7 or v6 android but a "degraded" one will only work in v6.  So nothing really to do with the handset, just luck of the draw on the SIM that PN supply.  I will try and get PN to give me a replacement SIM and see if that makes a permanent difference.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@SAABDude Your missing post was caught by the automated spam filter.

I have released and removed it as you have reposted it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SAABDude
Grafter

Strat. Ok thanks. No idea why it thought it was Spam as I entered it directly into the thread via the web browser. The only extra thing I did was to edit it to correct a couple of typos (my duff typing lol). Thanks anyway.
Dave777c
Dabbler

SAABDude, I will let you know if my new SIM should stop working.
SAABDude
Grafter

Dave777c. Ok cool. I've ordered my replacement SIM today so will report back on status as it changes. Hopefully we can provide some further evidence on the issue.