cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM 7726 reporting not available

inkymortar
Dabbler

SPAM 7726 reporting not available

I have been in touch via online chat with two Plusnet staff members recently about the company's lack of offering a text number to forward SPAM mobile messages to and report problem numbers. I was told on 2nd June that Plusnet doesn't support shortcode dialling. Fair enough - but according to Ofcom, Which and TechWorld, all UK mobile operators are supposed to offer a reporting service. Three didn't originally offer a shortcode either but it instead offered 37726 (and has since moved to the standard number). You could be doing something similar.

Come on Plusnet - spam is a significant problem, you're owned by BT, yet you're doing nothing about offering your customers a way of reporting spam messages that are being sent across your network.

During my online chats on both occasions (2nd June 08:00-08:30 with Jake and 7th June 08:10-08:25 with Jenny) I was promised a Manager would email me to discuss further. I specifically requested an email rather than a telephone call as I wished to submit a complaint. So far, radio silence.

Poor service indeed - can a Plusnet staff member please pick up this outstanding complaint and get a Manager to at least have the courtesy to reply to me?

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SPAM 7726 reporting not available

Hi @inkymortar

It's a shame to hear you've not had contact from a manager after you were advised this, and I'd like to take a look into your account so we can have this arranged for you; if you drop me a PM we'd be able to pick things up from there. 

As for the issue you've been receiving with SPAM text messages you can register your number here - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ - and this should block any future contact from SPAM. This is an alternative option for our customers as we don't support short codes. 

inkymortar
Dabbler

Anonymous: as you are marked as Anonymous it seems I'm unable to pm you so you can follow up why a Manager hasn't contacted me as promised.

in the meantime, your response falls woefully short of what it should be. I registered my number quite a number of years ago and have refreshed the registration in recent years. I always report SPAM to the ICO on receipt. You know as well as I do that registering with TPS has little effect on the main perpetrators of SPAM - they usually work outside the law and current regulations.

You are not doing your part. Saying you don't support short codes is an inappropriate response for two reasons:

• You should - it's hardly rocket science
  • I've already detailed how Vodafone approached this before they supported short codes. There is nothing to stop you introducing a conventional SPAM reporting number

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

Sorry about this, inkymortar. The response above is from one of our Social Media team who has since left and their profile has consequently been deleted. I'm happy to take over from here, though.

There are currently still no plans to support shortcodes, although we'll be sure to pass on the message if this changes. If you'd still like to speak to a manager about this, I can certainly get that arranged for you if you can PM me some details Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So how  do you report spam texts

inkymortar
Dabbler

This is STILL half an answer and does not respond to my point about the ease by which you could introduce a standard FIVE digit number for spam reporting.

Selgovae
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It might not be "rocket science" but it does cost money to implement. Don't forget that Plusnet prices are very low and I don't think they can be expected to provide a full blown service like EE etc.
If you wish to block numbers you can achieve that through apps. I personally use Mood Messenger for SMS and Should I Answer for voice calls.
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Correct, I use Mr Number on Android which does the job. Some people just like to find any reason to moan.

inkymortar
Dabbler

It also happens to be industry good practice. Implementing a standard number for spam forwarding would cost them no more than any other service option. Reducing the amount of spam across their network would save money. I'm not expecting a full blown service, simply a way of being able to work with the provider to reduce unwanted spam. I'm quite well aware that Plusnet Mobile is a low-price carrier - I moved here from GiffGaff who have implemented it and are comparable in terms of costs and services.

@Colin_Maybe not a helpful comment about "any reason to moan" and your solution doesn't address the problem when spam text is received without any originating number available.

Selgovae
Grafter

Not quite a similar service to giffgaff.
I get 5gb data 500 mins and unlimited texts for £10, where as giffgaff have a
Goodybag giving 5 GB data, 1,000 mins
and Ultd texts for £15. So it's possible Plusnet could do more if we paid £5 extra a month.
quelquod
Pro

inkymortar wrote:.

@Colin_Maybe not a helpful comment about "any reason to moan" and your solution doesn't address the problem when spam text is received without any originating number available.

Don't feed trolls.

You're right of course, it's an industry standard across both broadband and mobile to provide this facility and one that PN should too. Being a low-cost provider doesn't mean you should ignore good practice.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
RobDe

Just came across this when looking for teh spam reporting number. Agree it's terrible they don't have one. I've just had a phishing scam text from "H.S.B.C." asking me to reset my password which I can't send on to anyone to report. So a more vulnerable customer may fall for this scam as Plusnet don't have any feature or security measure to protect from this?

Colin_Maybe
Pro

You don't forward a 'smishing' text to a shortcode for HSBC, they list an email address: 

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/security-centre/fraudguide

phishing@hsbc.com

In my Android text app (Textra) you just long press and get the option to forward by email.

(yes, they really do call it smishing)

inkymortar
Dabbler

@RobDe another unhelpful response from Colin that I'd suggest you ignore. I understood your point that it's incumbent on mobile providers to offer a service to report spam, and not to attempt to send it to the organisation that is being spoofed in the text message
Colin_Maybe
Pro

Another sneaky little sly dig (are you 12?) from @inkymortar

He wanted to report a dodgy text to HSBC, I gave him the email which seems to be their preferred (and only) method of contact. I would suggest everyone ignores you as you don't seem to have anything useful to add.