Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS to 84770 Rejected?

kipperash
Dabbler

SMS to 84770 Rejected?

Hi,

I'm experiencing an odd problem in that my text messages to one number, 84770, are failing to send. My mobile just pops up with a notification saying: "Message not sent"

84770 is the automated number used to accept meter readings for SSE, the energy supplier. I'm able to receive messages from 84770. I'm also able to send and receive messages to all other numbers that I've tried over the past month.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with this one?
5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: SMS to 84770 Rejected?

Plusnet mobile do not support using short codes for SMS. And 84770 is a short code number.

Use the search for the forum for more information on this subject as it is a common complaint.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kipperash
Dabbler

Thank you, that's good to know. I hadn't heard of the term 'short code' before. It's a shame that they aren't supported.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It is not a good decision. A short code is defined as

Short codes (also known as short numbers) are special telephone numbers, significantly shorter than full telephone numbers, that can be used to address MMS and SMS messages from certain service providers' mobile phones or fixed phones.

The Plusnet argument is that most uses of short codes are for premium SMS services (competitions at £3 a text  and the like) so by not supporting them, they are helping the customer keep their bill down.

However lots of other organisations use them at normal text prices such as energy suppliers, NHS etc, so it can cause real issues for the customer.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know where we can find an alternative normal long number in place of the short numbers

I use SayNo to 0870 to find alternative numbers which are included in my plan

Sadclient
Grafter

I totally agree, this is such an annoying inconvenience that I shall definitely NOT be renewing my contract with Plusnet!
Its quite insulting of Plusnet to take the view that their customers are generally so moronic that they cant be trusted to decide for themselves whether or not to use shortcodes.