Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS short codes

grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

SMS short codes

Can anyone advise whether short codes don't work on Plusnet mobile - I'm think of the opt out type numbers that banks and others use to stop unwanted SMS alerts. e.g. 63332. Tried to "STOP" SMS from a legit financial organisation today and all it comes back with is message send failure. No comms problems with the phone etc, just replying to a number similar to the one quoted that is genuine. 

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: SMS short codes

you can receive but not send to SMS short codes, with the exception of the new text to leave short codes.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
grahamn
Rising Star

Thanks for confirming that.

So out of interest, how do Plusnet mobile expect us to stop unwanted SMS when the short code is what the originators of such potentially unwanted communications provide as the means to stop them?

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We left Plusnet mainly because of no indoor signal at home, but even if we'd had a full signal we would have been forced to leave Plusnet because we couldn't reply to short texts from our bank & credit card companies or from the NHS.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @grahamn if you know the originator of the SMS message, it is worth a try to check by them if there is anyway to block unwanted messages.

Your phone may have an option to block the number, this can stop the messages appearing on your phone. If you can provide me with your device name and model, I can have a look into this for you and check if your phone does have this feature Smiley

Kind regards.

grahamn
Rising Star

Unfortunately it's not that simple as I need to be able to receive from them for important messages I may need (this a financial institution txting). I have spend an hr yesterday trying to get them to opt me out of these advisory messages but they don't understand the concept of a mobile operator (even a virtual one) not supporting short sms codes! So neither party is actually helping the situation.....it will probably come down to which is easier/less costly to leave. Customer service really is lacking these days and that's why I don't intend to press the issue and simply walk.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@grahamn Hi Graham, we had to walk away too.

Although we also had a poor signal at home, the deciding factor was the lack of a short-code text facility.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We're really sorry that we are unable to come to a resolution for yourself @grahamn

If there's anything else we may assist you with, please feel free to get back in touch. 

Kind Regards

Ollie