cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS character limit???

rickief
Dabbler

SMS character limit???

Hi all, can anyone shed any light on whether or not Plusnet mobile (alias EE in this guise) have enforced the 160 character limit on SMS (texts) Huh

Previously, on the same mobile phone, just switched to Plusnet, there were no issues and the SMS would be split and sent like normal as multiple SMS messages (which are reassembled at the other end as one message) as has been for years.

I've also noticed a 40p charge (can't see what it's been taken for either) when all my services are unlimited or seriously underused suggesting the dreaded MMS (always has been a very sneaky charge on mobiles).

Any ideas folks?

3 REPLIES 3
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Re: SMS character limit???

Hi @rickief, thank you for getting in touch!

We do indeed have a standard SMS size of 160 characters.

As it says in our mobile price guide: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/mobile-price-guide

'(2) Price per message. Standard texts have a 160 character limit.'

Occasionally, a long message can be converted into an MMS message to ensure that it all sends together rather then being split into multiple messages which can arrive separately.

I'd be more than happy to check your account and look into these charges for you to confirm whether this was the cause!

The information should also be available to you through your online MyAccount service!

If you'd like me to check, please click onto my profile and select the option to send me a private message!

Thanks

-Oli

Mav
Fixes: 515

Isn't it down to the phone as to when texts become MMS? Strange, though, using my Samsung A5 a message that goes into 4 texts or more gets converted to an MMS. If I use MyPhoneExplorer on the PC connected to the same phone then the conversion to MMS happens when it reaches 6 texts.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rickief
Dabbler

Thanks