cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Shortcodes

Houlty

SMS Shortcodes

Hi

can someone confirm that Plusnets policy is still not to support responses to Shortcodes ? As this is now a key service used by various service providers to seek acknowledgement of services etc. I feel I will need to change providers when my account is up for renewal

16 REPLIES 16
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: SMS Shortcodes

No they don't, there are numerous threads about it.

I'm looking at moving. A couple of years ago when I joined it didn't bother me but more and more companies especially banks and NHS use it it's becoming a problem for me now and one of the irritating things is buying on line I get text from companies requesting feed back I can't reply to stop the texts.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

I can confirm that this is still the case. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I didn't even think to check when I signed up with Plusnet -  I don't remember seeing them say they didn't support it  ... tucking it away in the legal bits is a bit sneaky.

I see you state that its to stop people running up large SMS bills but many companies use them by default now  - I can no longer submit my gas / electricity readings via SMS,  I can't interact with my Bank or the NHS either.

@MichaelWilliams - is there any intention to ever allow this? Even as a bolt on?  I see posts from last year where members of PN staff say that they'll raise it with the Powers that Be.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

SteveA
Pro

Hi @RebekaPreston

So there is a demand for it but you're basically going to ignore your customers? A few years ago I could quite understand not allowing them at all but now so many services use them to deliver functionality that PN phone customers are now losing out and PN's response is basically "If you want that feature then move to another provider"

bristolash91
Grafter

i join plus net 2 week ago. them are worse network even been with. i work for NHS i need text to shortcodes sometime. but here the list i find [-Censored-]....

1. after 2 week i waiting for my sim go live. so them fixed it i cancel it str8 way when it close. this is wrong let customers waiting time to sim go live i never find any network out there to wait for sim go live. Hmmm odd. 

2. they lier about shortcodes go live in 2018 now them say not doing it. 

3. they telling you too many lies. 

i move to better mobile network Smiley 

mgillespie1
Dabbler

Wow, talk about going from hero to zero in 20 minutes.

I have ways been pleased with Plusnet mobile, but recently started getting short code reception problems, where they don't arrive.

This is used for 2 factor authentication many sites and services, and it not working with Plusnet is a serious security Issue for me.

Going to have to switch network because of this issue, I'm not willing to compromise my internet security just because Plusnet choose to not support short codes (despite we network supporting them). The blanket "no" from support suggests they don't take the importance of them (or security) seriously.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Plusnet mobile is cheap because it's a bare bones service (I imagine that one of the problems with supporting short codes would be the additional billing complexity when they are used for making charitable or other donations.)

I manage all my internet business (including banking) without any need for short code authentication so the lack of it is not an issue for me, although clearly it is for some others. Horses for courses.

mgillespie1
Dabbler

I can't even RECEIVE them relably for 2FA.
I'm not bothered about sending (but understand why others do)

Right now, there is a weird workaround toggling airplane mode triggers the delivery. It's not the phone (Google pixel 2), which works fine in this regard on another network, and it's fine for regular SMS delivery.

It's frustrating that my problem is reception, but Plusnet just pull the "we don't support short numbers"
SteveA
Pro

The problem is that as time goes by what a bare bones service provides needs to change. It's obvious from the number of threads and posts that SMS Shortcodes is being seen by many as something that should be provided by a bare bones service - however PN don't seem to be willing to move with the times.

Damac

Hi

I would like to invite PN to explain the reason for this in(s)ane policy.....unless of course the Community already knows, in which case please chip in. Thanks

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I believe it has been mentioned before but I would personally guess that it's a commercial decision based on the fact that Plusnet Mobile is a budget service.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Damac

I understand that's probably their position, however, I'd be interested in an explanation of how it would adversely impact their business model. As SCs seem to follow a reasonably well maintained convention (some of which generates income to the network), it could seem to a lay person (quite possibly incorrectly!) that it shouldn't be beyond the wit of PN to implement at least limited access that doesn't incur unbearable cost/complexity.

jgfrancis
Grafter

I believe the reason Plusnet do not support shortcodes is as follows.

Both Plusnet and EE are owned by BT. Plusnet is a low cost service, while EE is a full service at much higher cost.

If Plusnet were to offer the same services as EE, there would be no reason for customers to join EE. There have to be sufficient differences between the offerings to drive customers to EE. Shortcodes are part of the package of services not provided by Plusnet, along with a basic voicemail service, no support for call forwarding and a poor record on number porting.

Although Plusnet runs on the EE network, the service is actually provided by a French company which also provide MVNO services to other organisations.

I am in no way connected with any of these companies, and the above is my own opinion based on Googling publicly available information.