Did you mean: 

SIM cards in iPads

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

SIM cards in iPads

Hi

Is it still true that Plusnet SIM cards don't work in iPads?  I've just come to an end on my contract on my iPad, and so am just looking at the options for data for it.  I don't use much on it (500Mb limit on my current contract), as it's usually on wifi, but it's useful to have from time to time!

Thanks

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: SIM cards in iPads

@pjmarsh I can't answer your question, but have you thought of getting a data-only SIM (I use the 3 network) where a 12month/12GB card can be found for around £26.

Like you, I don't use that much data away from wifi links, but that price seems reasonable to me.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Jeb. I’ll be having a look around. 3 wouldn’t really be an option for me. I know 2 areas I’m very regularly in have very poor signals with 3.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@pjmarsh It's 'jab1', or even 'John' Smiley

I only used 3 as the example because I used them, I honestly don't know prices/sizes for other providers.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would pick up a PAYG EE data only SIM then for example.

You have to put some inital credit on it, so put the minimum on and see how you go. If you get on with it then carry on - that's what I did.

jab1
Legend

@Alex A good suggestion, and had it not been for the fact I picked up A LOT of 30 day 'Three' SIMs when I first got my iPad, I would probably be looking at that option now. Thing is, I've still got about 27 months/GB available.Smiley

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had a Three contract when they first launched.

I had reception issues and I live in London. Wasn't using it for data at the time, just calls.

Not sure if they've improved since then. Mind you a friend of mine a couple of years back moved to them, and then moved away because of the reception. Doesn't live that far from me, so maybe not.

jab1
Legend

I think they must have improved since then - almost the only times I get reception issues is on trains in the middle of nowhere, and it usually means I can't get reception on either of my phone's either (dual Vodafone/Virgin).

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@pjmarsh, where have you heard this? My SO has a Plusnet SIM in her iPad, and AFAIK it works perfectly fine Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Very sorry @jab1.  A combination of responding when I'm tied and from my phone.

@bobpullen, there's been a couple of threads on here where people have had an issue and the mobile support team have responded with it not being supported.  I've not seen any for a while though.

Some examples are this and this

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks @RebekaPreston.  I may give it a go.