Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Lock Pin Request Problem

FIXED
carteryd

SIM Lock Pin Request Problem

Hi,

Had my Plusnet SIM for nearly a month now and the only problem I seem to be having is that suddenly my phone keeps requesting my SIM Lock pin when waking from standby. As I'm sure you're aware this should only need entering after booting the phone. I'm then prompted as usual to enter my handset pin.

I'm running a Nexus 5X.

*Deep breath*

I recently upgraded to Android Oreo through the Android Beta Program. This OTA update was successfully applied. This is also when the problem started. Suffice to say I blamed Android. I then unenrolled from the Beta Program and manually downloaded and clean-flashed the current Android Nougat Nexus 5X image. This is what I was running before the upgrade. The SIM Lock problem persisted. Out of morbid curiosity and boredom, I have clean-flashed a custom ROM based on Android Nougat and again the SIM Lock problem persisted. As I type I am currently re-flashing the Android Oreo image because why not?

I am now wondering if the problem lies with my SIM. It's almost like it's rebooting.

If this was just a daft bug I wouldn't mind so much. It's just that until my SIM Pin is entered my phone is a brick in my pocket.

I've knocked off the SIM Lock setting but I would only consider this a temporary fix.

*Edit* After doing the above and unlocking the handset my network has dropped to Emergency Calls and reconnected several times. Something isn't right here.

Hopefully someone here can help.

Cheers in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: SIM Lock Pin Request Problem

Fix

Hi carteryd!

Thanks for getting in touch!

I have performed a quick Google search regarding this, and there does appear to be some issues with your handset make and model, and the SIM pin error. You can view the results here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB751GB751&q=nexus+5x+requesting+sim+pin&oq=nexus+5x+r....

I would advise to turn off the option that requests for the SIM pin again and then re-boot the handset. You can do this by the following:

• Turn the handset off
  • Take the SIM card out
  • Leave it for a couple of minutes
  • Replace the SIM card
  • Turn the handset back on again

It's important to remove the SIM from the device entirely so that it can disconnect from the network, and establish a new connection upon re-boot. 

I'd also suggest removing the connection to the network by means of the settings on the handset, you can do this by manually searching for a network and if given an option, connect to any other network that differs from EE/Plusnet. Once you've done this, leave it for a couple of minutes and then go back and select EE/Plusnet. 

- Rebeka 

carteryd

Thanks Rebeka.

I've removed the SIM, rebooted the handset without the SIM in it, reset the network settings, turned it off and put the SIM back in.

I've also tried a manual search for networks. I'm showing two Plusnet's but no EE/Plusnet's for whatever reason. I haven't messed with any of them yet.

I've also re-selected the SIM Lock, so we'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks again.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

You're welcome!

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch!

- Rebeka Smiley