Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of allowance. Then what?

FIXED
nanos
Hooked

Running out of allowance. Then what?

Hi,

I have a number of question as to what would happen if/when I run out of my allowance. I know there is the smart cap, and the bolt ons, but I'm not too sure how they interact. It is my understanding that the following happens, but could someone confirm that, please?

Assumed situation: I have a 2GB plan, with a £6 Smart cap.

1) Assuming I have now consumed 2 GB of data, and not bought a bolt on. I continue to use mobile data. Do I understand this correctly, that I can use a max of 250MB per day, for £1.50 per day? After four days (assuming I don't do anything else that's chargeable) my mobile data gets switched off (even if I only used 1 MB per day) as I have reached my smart cap, until I either increase my Smart Cap, or purchase a bolt on?

1.a) Will I still be able to call and text? (I read somewhere that my service will be "suspended" after the smart cap has been exceeded, though I can't find the reference right now.)

2) If I do purchase a bolt on, does that count towards the smart cap? e.g. am I able to purchase a bolt on worth £10 when I have a £6 cap? Or, after having bought a £6 bolt on, can I still perform any other chargeable action?

3) If I travel abroad and have fully used up my smart cap, is it correct that I will no longer be able to use my phone to make or receive calls, including calling 500 (as both are chargeable)? Do you have a number from which I could call you internationally to increase the smart cap, as calls to 0800 numbers are usually blocked from overseas?

Thanks for your answers!

2 REPLIES 2
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Running out of allowance. Then what?

Fix

Good afternoon, nanos!

Bolt-Ons are chargeable. When your total charges in a month reach your Smart Cap, any potentially chargeable services are suspended until the next bill is produced, or the Smart Cap is raised. The Smart Cap can be raised or lowered at almost any point, but not less than the current unbilled charges. You can add to your balance by making an online or telephone card payment, and this balance will be used before your Smart Cap, however, if you hit your Smart Cap before a payment clears, you will still have to contact us to raise the Cap again, or will have to wait for your next bill, to use more charged services.

I'll try to respond as you requested.

1) Yes, exactly as you described. The daily excess data 'bolt-on' behaves just like other charges, so when your excess £1.50 charge causes you to hit your £6 Smart Cap on the 5th attempted day of excess data, your data service is suspended (among others that might incur charges).

1a) Any service that could incur charges (by even indirect means) is cut-off when you hit your Smart Cap. If you still have minutes or texts and are using those on standard UK calls then those should still be available to you.

2) No. Bolt-Ons are charges, all charges count equally towards the Smart Cap. if you have A £6 Smart Cap, you would have to either have more than £4 in credit on your account from a payment, or you would have to raise your Smart Cap to £10 to be able to purchase a £10 Bolt-On.

3) All of our Tariffs are UK-only presently. Yes, you won't be able to use most services at all while abroad if you've hit your Smart Cap (the full international information is listed here: https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/). However, our 500 number from your plusnet SIM is free even while abroad, if you need to get in touch with us).

I hope that helps! Smiley

nanos
Hooked

Re: Running out of allowance. Then what?

That was very helpful. Thank you very much!