cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming suddenly gone to "E"

cornyrainbowsss

Roaming suddenly gone to "E"

I signed up to Plusnet because I'd heard such good things about the roaming, but have had real issues recently.

Firstly, it didn't work in Germany anywhere, at all, making it nightmarish trying to get around with maps! I tried to call support, but none of the suggestions helped. I guess whatever the roaming arrangement with networks in Germany is, it isn't great. Maybe they aren't willing to pay for the decent networks to host their roaming? I don't know. Anyway, it was very frustrating. 

But now I've been having issues in The Netherlands too. Previously it was working fine, but for the past 2 days I haven't been able to get a connection any faster than "E", which is painfully slow. I travel quite a bit and was really pleased with the service from Plusnet until recently. I'm considering changing network because it's that inconvenient, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do before resorting to that please? It feels as though the speed has been throttled because I've been making good use of the roaming due to being such a frequent traveller.

Thanks so much!

A

Tags (5)
8 REPLIES 8
tamarin64
Dabbler

Re: Roaming suddenly gone to "E"

You appear to be suffering from what appears to be a relatively common issue, where 4G does not work while roaming.

See the existing thread here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile-Tech-Help/Unable-to-access-4G-services-whilst-roaming/td-p/1860... and I suggest you post on there.
cornyrainbowsss

Thanks for that - I've had a read through, but can't seem to find any reason why it would have suddenly dropped from 4G to E? Any ideas if there's anything that might help with that please? 

A

cornyrainbowsss

It was working one day, then suddenly not the next...

tamarin64
Dabbler

Ah, yes, I guess that is slightly different to my situation, as mine has never worked. Not sure what the problem is then.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @cornyrainbowsss, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry that you experience issues with your service while roaming abroad and for the frustration this causes. 

Have you tried changing your network selection from automatic to manual? That way you can manually select the networks to help ensure you are connecting on the best one available. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
cornyrainbowsss

Hi @LaurenB 

Thanks for your reply. I have given that a go, yes, but there are only 3 options that come up and two of them say "No service - selected network unavailable" when I click on them and then just say "Couldn't connect" when it goes back to the list of options.

The third option gives the same notification ("No service - selected network unavailable") when I click on it from the list, but then does say "connected" when I am back to the list of networks. Strangely enough, the one it connects to says 4G next to it when looking at the list of networks, but when I connect to it only "E" appears next to my signal bar at the top of my screen, hence my concern about something else possibly throttling the speed, given it says it should be 4G, but isn't.

Not really sure what else to try...

Best,

A

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to us. 

As the service is provided by someone else when you're abroad there's not really much we can do to be honest. Have you changed location in The Netherlands since the issue started? Have you rebooted your handset?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
cornyrainbowsss

I appreciate your response - thank you for investigating all the different avenues of support.

I wonder if anything has changed with the agreements Plusnet have with the providers abroad that could be causing this issue? I haven't changed location in The Netherlands and have rebooted my handset, reset the network settings, and removed and reinserted the SIM card several times, but to no avail.

Thanks.

A