cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming still doesn't work in Thailand

RWD

Roaming still doesn't work in Thailand

I've been in Thailand for 4 days and cannot connect to a local service. I've seen previous posts including suggestions to remove SIM, clean and replace. I've searched for networks and then tried to register on them but after a few seconds the service is lost. I have been given this advice as well by Customer Support and it hasn't worked. In addition as suggested by them I've tried my SIM in my wife's phone (which does work well with a Three SIM) but to no avail.

Plusnet say they have no control of the local networks but they should not enter in to any agreement with them if the service is not working. When my contract runs out I shall be looking for an alternative provider.

9 REPLIES 9
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Roaming still doesn't work in Thailand

Hi RWD,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us, it's much appreciated. 

I'm sorry to hear you're unable to connect to a network in Thailand. As you have been advised, we don't have full control over any foreign network however, we do advise of troubleshooting steps to help you connect.

When manually searching for networks, the networks to look out for are as follows:

• DTAC
  • DTAC TriNet
  • AWN
  • True Move H

I completely understand your frustration during this time RWD, I can assure you that your feedback has been taken on board and will be passed onto the relevant department. 

- Rebeka 

trickrick

Hi,  Just got to Thailand 11/03/2018 and my Plus Net Sim card is not registering on any network,  Did you manage to get a result with your Plus Net Sim here ??    tried the chat with Tech support, to no avail...

Thanks

Rick

RWD

No success. I've givenup.

There are plenty of other ways to make and receive calls these days but not having SMS has been an inconvenience e.g. for receiving security passwords etc. I have family here and I'm using a Thai SIM at the moment.

I'll definitely change company when my contract finishes.

trickrick

Hi,  Thanks for the reply,   There are many different ways to communicate and I do appreciate your need for SMS, I also have a Thai sim, which by the way works perfectly in the UK,  But I needed mainly to monitor incoming calls, not necessarily answer them ,  but yes, maybe I will look into changing when I return too..  

I have had, Virgin, Tesco, and Talk Talk Sim cards here, with no problem.  my friend has Sky and 02 and both of those work fine too

thanks again..

Rick 

sourmanflint
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Arrived 10 days ago in Thailand, and have not managed to connect to any service to retrieve my UK messages, absolute disaster for me. Will be changing suppliers as soon as I get back as well. How on earth a modern company can be so shambolic is beyond me. 

Plusnet is nowhere near good enough for business travellers it seems.

sourmanflint
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

To add insult to injury, for the five seconds I had a connection to AIS today I got cahrged £8.19 in data roaming as I forgot to turn it off before swapping sims. No SMS messages but they can still charge me for 5 second! 

RWD

Because of connection problems in Thailand I took my Plusnet SIM out of my phone from 24/2-19/3/2018. I am now back in the UK and my bill dated 24/3/18 includes 6 roaming charges (6x58p = £3.50) for dates when my Plusnet SIM was not even in my phone! Plusnet could not explain but "as a gesture of goodwill" they say they will credit me £3.50.

trickrick

Hi,  sorry to hear of your disastrous experience with plusnet sim in Thailand,  I had recently needed to purchase something of eBay, when trying to log in to my paypal I was asked to enter a code which was going to be sent to my registered number,  which happens to be my plusnet,   so that was a real problem, I had to contact a family member back home to make the purchase for me,  

anyway,  after what felt like many hours of communication with plusnet using the chat applet and supplying them with all the info they asked for, including a 6 hour window of trying to connect, I was told that my sim did connect once like yours but could have only been for a split second cos I never saw it nor did I manage to use anything on it,  

If any charges are brought due to that minuscule connection then I will be letting them know, and I wont be too diplomatic,  

every other sim I have had, and everyone one who I have spoke to never have a problem connecting here, seems plusnet are very much aware of this issue but wont just come out and say "sorry, our sims do not work in Thailand".  A little honesty would have saved me more than a days efforts to make it work..  

trickrick

Just checked my plusnet account online and no charges at this stage, and no data usage showing either, 

good luck guys

Rick