cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming showing all networks "forbidden"

dantheasp

Roaming showing all networks "forbidden"

Hi. I'm currently in Vietnam and my phone (Oneplus Two) was successfully roaming for the first three days of my trip. Now it is showing all available networks as "forbidden" and despite restarts and manually changing all the settings nothing will change its mind. It's a dual SIM phone and my GiffGaff card is working fine.

Any suggestions? I also had exactly this issue whilst using my old EE SIM, and know both Plusnet and EE run on the same network.

Are there any settings that I or Plusnet can change to get my roaming working again or does this appear to be a handset issue?
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Roaming showing all networks "forbidden"

Hi dantheasp,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear your not able to connect to a network when you are abroad, however I must advise that we can't always guarantee that you will receive signal when out of the country. This is due to the foreign networks themselves and if there are any issues with the masts, we won't have access to that information. 

I'll be more than happy to look into this further for you, so if you could send me a private message, I'll be able to look into your account to make sure all your services are up and running.

- Rebeka Smiley

dantheasp

Thanks Rebekah, have messaged.
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, I'll pick this up there.

- Rebeka Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

however I must advise that we can't always guarantee that you will receive signal when out of the country. This is due to the foreign networks themselves and if there are any issues with the masts, we won't have access to that information. 

@RebekaPreston , whilst that is true, from the OP's first post

Now it is showing all available networks as "forbidden"

that would imply that the networks are working fine but that roaming is disabled !!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Not necessarily so, it's possible that there is only the one network in that area.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It would appear from this http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/vietnam that roaming outside Europe requires an addon and hence it is possible that the Plusnet version only includes 30 minutes

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@RebekaPreston I was not expecting you to discuss another account, I was just suggesting that your explanation of the OP's problem did not seem likely. The OP's phone is an Android phone and

Preferred and Forbidden Networks are part of the SIM card spec. While Preferred Networks are a user-editable preference, Forbidden Networks are not. They are a list of four entries handled by the phone: whenever a network rejects a registration request, its MCC/MNC is stored (dropping the oldest entry if the list is full) so the phone will skip these in the future.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyHunt
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I'd be interested in whether this was resolved or not as I have the same issue. I've spoken to Plusnet on the phone who couldn't help.