Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming on a pre new products contract

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Roaming on a pre new products contract

I just ordered mobile on the special offer which just ran out but didn't mention UK only

The equivalent £5 offer now is UK only no roaming and the cheapest one with roaming is £8

So will I receive an email before the end of the month advising that roaming is enabled

26 REPLIES 26
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Roaming on a pre new products contract

to add - as the deal I signed up to didn't specify UK only and the OFCOM rules state https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/using-y...

Providers offering roaming services should automatically apply ‘roam like at home’ to all existing and new customers – you don’t have to sign up. Check with your provider if you want to confirm that this has been activated on your mobile phone.

If your provider offers roaming services you should automatically be registered for ‘roam like at home’. However, some providers may also make available alternative offers for roaming services, but consumers must actively opt into these before they are applied.

Where a consumer opts into an alternative tariff,  the provider must make clear what benefits they will miss out on by opting out of ‘roam like at home’.

so roaming should be permitted on my present tariff as it didn't say anywhere in the order process that roaming wasn't allowed

cliner

I'm in the same situation; the price guide for previous plans shows conflicting information:

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/product-archive/plusnet-mobile-our-previous-out-of-plan-and-extra-...

From 15 June 2017, you can use your mobile plan allowance when in a Roam Like at Home destination.

But then a bit further down:

How much a month Data (4G where available) Minutes Texts Roam Like at Home Enabled
£5.00 500MB 250 500 No
(the specific double everything allowance isn't listed anywhere)

I asked for clarification and was told to expect a reply within 5 working days.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

how about an official answer then

cliner

Ok, I got the callback:

Roam like at home is NOT included in the £5 contract, only on (old) £7.50 or (new) £8 contracts and upwards. The call agent acknowledged that the information in the price guide for old contracts wasn't clear.

Changing to a higher price plan would only take effect after the first month - too long of a wait for me, order cancelled and refund requested.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

interesting but it does seem to be not in accordance with OFCOM rules

I wonder how long it will be or even whether we will get an official response from Plusnet

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I joined late last month on a £5 plan and had it confirmed that roaming was enabled at the time. I expect to be able to ' roam like at home". If that is not the case then, like @Oldjim I believe that contravenes EU /OFCOM regulations

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@MisterW @Oldjim

No it doesn't, they're still allowed to sell contracts without roaming abilities and their website now reflects this. Three do the same as you don't get roaming with their 'essentials' plans (no doubt the others will add cheap deals without roaming too).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

For info, I've just noticed that I got an SMS on the 9th June from Plusnet advising that I can use my plan in the 'roam like at home' countries.Smiley

@Colin_Maybe I agree, they can still sell products without roaming but in my case I had confirmed that roaming WAS enabled. My understanding is that if roaming is enabled then it has to be included in the plan when in any EU country. In @Oldjim 's case it would appear he was not told that it was a UK only plan with roaming disabled and therefore he should be in the same position.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Possibly, since it's not even come in yet there's going to be a lot of confusion down the line. It looks like PN staff are still waiting for clarification regarding existing contracts. They've definitely covered themselves with new contracts though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Colin_Maybe It came  in on the 15th of this month!!

As Jim says we really need a formal response from PN to the confusing information ?

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Ahh, so it did Laugh I had it down for the 1st of July for some reason.

MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Good afternoon 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks Marc - pm sent - this is where the confusion arose as the reference to 29th November 2016 seems irrelevant

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/Roam-Like-at-Home/ba-p/1447636

Here at Plusnet we’re introducing Roam Like at Home to our mobile plans.

If you’re a Plusnet mobile customer, who has a Roam Like at Home enabled plan, from 15th June you will be able use your monthly plan allowance like at home in any EU destination, plus a few extra!

If you’ve joined us before 29th November 2016 and have never set roaming up on your plan with us, don’t worry, we’ll be doing this for you before 30th June. This means you’ll be able to use your monthly plan allowance like at home in any EU destination.