Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming not working

Sue11
Hooked

Re: Roaming not working

Thanks for you reply.

No - nowhere near the Smart Cap limit.

There is strong reception from a number of providers here.. except only for emergency calls for me.

Use abroad is a really basic thing.. never had a problem with any other company.

I travel a lot.. so this is no use to me. Already requested a PAC code from Plusnet to leave. Very dissapointing as Plusnet broadband has been fine.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

No - nowhere near the Smart Cap limit.

Oh well, it was worth asking.Sad

Already requested a PAC code from Plusnet to leave

That seems to be the only answer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

I also found this to be the only course of action. Customer services where almost apathetic in their response, which was disappointing to say the least.
mrchbo

Unfortunately, I have had exactly the same problem, roaming not working in any of the countries I visited. The phone would not connect in Croatia, yet fitting an EE SIM from another phone worked, so definitely a Plusnet problem. I had the same problem in Bosnia/Herzegovina & Montenegro. I had a long drawn out correspondence with customer service (via WIFI/email while away) who asked me for all sorts of information and error messages. Now I've returned back home, they say it can't be investigated unless I'm abroad! What use is that?

Like many others, I will be leaving Plusnet (only on a 1 month rolling contract, so easy to do).

Sue11
Hooked

I've had this in an email from Plusnet:

"Currently we are not aware of any issues with our customer travelling abroad and using our Simcards, though from time to time there may be trouble with the foreign networks, which may lead to a loss of service for our customers. It is due to this reason that we state in our Terms and Conditions that we cannot guarantee service abroad.

What I would greatly advise for next time is to contact us before you travel abroad, and we can perform a hard reset of your International and Roaming services, this should solve the issue for next time you decide to travel abroad with your Plusnet Simcard, though we cannot perform this action now, as the services would need to be reset under a British Network Connection for the reset to work.

Further more I would suggest when you are back in the UK to speak to one of our Customer Service agents, this way to go over troubleshooting for next time you travel abroad with your Plusnet Sim."

So.. despite all the posts here.. they are still 'not aware of any issues'.

I checked the terms & conditions.. it only says that they cannot guarantee the 'coverage & quality' of signals abroad. There are several strong signals here (& being picked up without issue up by those with other providers).

In years of using mobile signals abroad I've never had a problem & never heard of a 'hard reset of roaming services'.

It doesn't give me much confidence.. & I won't find out whether they are telling the truth until I travel again..

When there are competitive deals elsewhere it's just not worth the risk...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Ed3

"Currently we are not aware of any issues with our customer travelling abroad and using our Simcards"

They don't read this forum then?
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Interesting thread... I'm going to Greece in 6 weeks and 100% need to know it will work.

It seems it's hit and miss and I can't trust it'll work on arrival... I'll be watching this thread and if the problems continue in 2 weeks time I'll be moving back to EE before my holiday.

SilPho

This is affecting me as well while travelling to certain countries.

My Plusnet SIM card does not work in my phone, or my wife's phone. Her SIM card (Vodafone) works perfectly in every country, in both my phone and hers. Both phones are Sony Xperia phones, but they are different models.

I've been to a few different countries either the phone works perfectly fine, or absolutely none of the available mobile networks work:

I get absolutely no service in Sweden, Croatia, or Bosnia.
I do get service in Hungary and Slovenia (and the UK, obviously).

I contacted customer service via web chat, and they confirmed that roaming is enabed on my account but after that they just fell back on "We can't guarantee the signal while abroad". Clearly this has nothing to do with signal, it's something else.

To summarise, I think it depends entirely on the country.

Sue11
Hooked

Thanks - that's really helpful as I'm planning a trip to Croatia & Bosnia.
I'll have to leave Plusnet before that.

It's a shame they are not addressing this problem as I've had no other problem. Broadband has been trouble-free for a few years.. but Mobile clearly not delivering the same quality of service or customer care.
Ed3

I've found the same - no service at all anywhere in Croatia, but I'm now in Italy and have full service everywhere. Why can't Plusnet own up to this issue and publish a list of the countries where it will and won't work rather than this vague and unhelpful 'we can't guarantee service' comment?
Davesona
Hooked
Fixes: 1

To give some balance I had no problems in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam. 

Sue11
Hooked

A further reply from PlusNet..

I asked them to tell me the countries where roaming is possible.

"Please find the link here to the countries that we have agreements with here https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/ 

I would like to apologise for the issues you've experienced and if you need any further assistance feel free to e-mail me back."

Yes... the link takes you to the part of the website that lists ALL countries, zones and costs...!

But now there is curiously an acknowledgement that there needs to be 'agreements' with providers in other countries..
In an online chat I was categorically told that there are no 'agreements' and fobbed off with the usual line that it just depends on the providers in that country and 'service cannot be guaranteed'.
As another poster has mentioned, the T&Cs state that 'quality and coverage' can't be guaranteed.  PlusNet staff are clearly pretending they don't know the difference.
ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

I'm just about to send my PAC to EE to move back to them because of this and the no 4g issue. (Which PN couldn't solve)

6 weeks with plusnet and now back to EE where I was for 20 years!
Then I can be sure I have a working phone on holiday.

PN need to start being honest, admit the issues and deal with them.
Good luck all!
Arabdeen
Hooked

Same problem in Croatia here.
Fobbed off by customer support on Twitter.

This is my first trip "roaming" with Plusnet, and I've a number of work trips planned this year.
Just going to have to change providers - they don't provide a service that can be trusted to work.
Shame, as their broadband and UK mobile services are pain-free.
Sue11
Hooked

I just got a text from Plusnet..!

Hello! You'll be able to use your plan allowance like at home in more than 40 EU destinations and a few extra from 15th June!

Yeah right.......

Had yet another email from them blaming the problem on overseas networks... when there was good, strong coverage by a number of networks there... And saying my phone 'should' work ok next time I travel.
Not good enough... Why would anyone take the risk & believe them, especially now that roaming will be free..?

Furthermore after agreeing to credit my account with £20... they've just emailed me saying they will be taking a payment from me on 3 Jul !

It just gets worse... you couldn't make it up!

Luckily my Three sim will arrive in a couple of days, in good time for my trip to Croatia. Fingers crossed...

After years of trouble free service abroad from EE, I shall be leaving Plusnet after 6 weeks...