cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming not working

Re: Roaming not working

I had a similar problem when on 3 week holiday in Costa Rica. I found upon my return that chat was working - didn't seem to work when I was away and I could find no way to contact plusnet when I was away. Anyway I was told that there was no reason for my roaming not to work. This was not an acceptable answer and so I have given notice to leave plusnet. I am very disappointed to read this long post with so many others having the same problem.
Gooman

Similar problem. I'm in St Lucia and my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini) won't register on any local networks. I can neither make nor receive calls or texts.

If I search for networks rather than going with the default it lists LIME and 33805 as the options. If I try to manually select either of these it fails.

I urgently need to have roaming turned on. How can I do this ?

Ed3

I have the same problem. I'm in Dubrovnik and have no roaming connection. I spent half an hour on the online chat today, they confirmed roaming is enabled on my account and told me to try turning the phone off and on, and to try manually selecting a network, neither of which worked, then basically told me there was nothing they could do. I've travelled countless times with O2 and Vodafone and never had any issues. I've only been a plusnet customer for a couple of weeks but will be leaving for another network as soon as I get back to the UK.
entdgc
Hooked

Yet another person for whom international roaming is not working. In Purec, Croatia. Confirmed roaming was on both mine and my wife's account before leaving. Was given costs too. Neither of us can connect to any network - emergency calls only. Tried phone restart etc no change (galaxy S4 and iPhone5C). I had the same problem last time I was abroad but assumed it was my fault as I hadn't turned on roaming on my account. Can one of the Plusnet support team help please with a real answer to this problem.

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Has anyone tried switching their phone to 2g/3g only and seeing if it then connects ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

entdgc
Hooked

Thanks MisterW for the suggestion. I have just tried setting my phone to WCDMA only and though it reduces the number of networks available it still doesn't connect. To be clear every network in any mode is 'Forbidden Network". This is clearly a network issue as both my wife's iPhone and my Samsung exhibit the same problem. Neither had a problem with the previous network - my wife was previously on EE so the same carrier as Plusnet.

Dave

entdgc
Hooked

Just be on live chat about this. Got the usual suggestions about rebooting phone and removing and replacing sim - all to no effect. Then got the response "After these troubleshooting options have been done, there would be no more technical support we can offer as it is not something that we guarantee." and after a surprised reply from me "As we are not partnered with anybody abroad, it is not something we can guarantee. It is in the terms and conditions that you accepted when getting the contract." I also signed up o a 30 day contract so I can vote with my feet...

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

"After these troubleshooting options have been done, there would be no more technical support we can offer as it is not something that we guarantee." and after a surprised reply from me "As we are not partnered with anybody abroad, it is not something we can guarantee. It is in the terms and conditions that you accepted when getting the contract."

What a poor response from support!.

Are they(PN) really saying they don't support roaming, if so they are the only supplier that doesn't, and if not, then why are they quoting roaming rates?

I understand that they can't guarantee network coverage outside the UK but when people obviously have a good network signal and get 'forbidden network' it's really something that PN need to sort out!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

entdgc
Hooked

@MisterW wrote:

What a poor response from support!.

Are they(PN) really saying they don't support roaming, if so they are the only supplier that doesn't, and if not, then why are they quoting roaming rates?

I understand that they can't guarantee network coverage outside the UK but when people obviously have a good network signal and get 'forbidden network' it's really something that PN need to sort out!!!

My thoughts entirely! This is on two phones, iPhone (ex EE) and android, both connect to a network for 'emergency calls only', both have strong (max) signal, neither can make calls! What is the common denominator here? Ah - the company with the award winning customer service! </rant off>

I used to have a warm glow about PN - fully committed with 2xmobile, home phone and BB - the glow is fading fast. I will be addressing this again when I return but refuse to let it spoil my holiday.

Thanks to the community

Dave

FlyingFish
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I've had the same issue in Saint Lucia - "emergency calls only". My wife's phone is on EE and she has a connection.
entdgc
Hooked

An update on my earlier postings. We are staying in Croatia with no phone signal (beautiful place BTW). Yesterday we took a trip over to Venice, Italy (even more beautiful place!) and as soon as we landed got a full service. There is clearly some problems with PN arrangement with some countries (Croatia for me but from this thread many others). I think PN should address this problem rather than just hiding behind the 'we cannot guarantee roaming connections'. 

Back home tomorrow so will be making a call to PN to say goodbye!

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think PN should address this problem rather than just hiding behind the 'we cannot guarantee roaming connections'.

Likewise!

I've had the same issue in Saint Lucia - "emergency calls only". My wife's phone is on EE and she has a connection.

That one ought to be easy for PN to sort out.

Yewtree

I am a new customer to the Plusnet Network and at present am at our house in Cyprus.  We exchanged my wifes' EE sim for a PlusNet one prior to leaving the UK in April.   My intention was to change my EE sim for a ON one when my present contract expires.  We travel by car to Brussels and then fly to Cyprus because of the UK animal travel rules and had no problems whilst travelling in France and Belgium that we noticed due to minimal use of the mobiles.  When we arrived in Cyprus we both had full roaming facility on my EE sim and my wifes' PN sim.  shortly into our stay my wife notived that her PN sin was emergency service only.  Just to point out we also have CYTA sims in our dual sim mobiles which have full signals on the Cytamobile network and this is the normal network connected to by our UK roaming.  I contacted PN by telephone and the customer service rep. checked everything and said there was no reason for it not to work in Cyprus so I tried all the methods of repair, switching slots, switching on and off and lo and behold it worked ; for about a week and we have just noticed tonight it is now emergency service only again and nothing we do rectifies it so it is back to EE on our return to the UK for my wife and a renewal of my contract with EE instead of movng to PN.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Sue11
Hooked

This is still an issue, unfortunately.

Since arriving in Bulgaria I've been unable to connect to make calls & send texts. People with other providers have no problems at all.

This is clearly a Plusnet issue. In 2 long online conversations they failed to acknowledge this... and wasted my time in telling me to turn off phone/remove sim card etc. They are fully aware of this but choosing to do nothing... & mislead customers

This is really dissapointing... and not to even acknowledge the problem shows a terrible attitude to customer service.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Sue11 have you exceeded your Smart Cap by any chance ?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Smart-Cap-reached-when-roaming-no-connection-Then-what/m-p/1442...

I agree, PlusNet need to aknowledge this as a problem and sort it out.