cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming issues in the Isle of Man

caryh
Grafter

Roaming issues in the Isle of Man

Has anyone had any issues roaming in the Isle of Man. I set up my wife I on plusnet mobile on a royal at home tariff, but she is unable to propellor use it while we are in the Isle of Man. She can text, use data, and receive calls but cannot make any calls at all. Every time she attempts a call out never rings and the phone just shows call ended. This is also happening to my Mother who is with plusnet mobile, so I know it's not just her account, or phone. We have tried a manual network connection, but it makes no difference. The only network which allows her to connect through is Sure.

As she can text, use data and recieve calls I suspect is a plusnet authentication issue rather than the Sure network, especially as two people are affected.

Has anyone ever seem this before?
7 REPLIES 7
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Roaming issues in the Isle of Man

Have you tried adding the country code to the phone number she's calling? Or if it already is, try phoning the number without it.

caryh
Grafter

Yes. We've tried multiple numbers both with and without the country code, on both my wife's phone and my mother's. The strange quirk with the Isle of man is its classed as roaming, but all the phone numbers are classed as uk numbers so the dialing code is still +44.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It's strange that they can receive calls. send texts and use data but not make calls? To do those it must have been authenticated. Were they able to make calls initially and then it stopped ? I'm thinking 'reached Smart cap limit'and the PN systems not realising the calls should be included in plan...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes it will be classed as roaming, though being in the UK they don't use the same networks as you have on mainland UK. Your usual (home network) will not be there. 

It is the same for the channel islands when I were there.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Not sure if that reply was meant for me.

Yes, I realise it's classed as roaming but it SHOULD be a 'roam like at home' destination and therefore everything included on the same basis as in the UK.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi caryh! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing connection problems in the Isle Of Man!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry, I forget the recent legislation which has come in, and it was some years ago I went there.