Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Sweden

FIXED
Phil_b
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Roaming in Sweden

Roaming in Sweden doesn't seem to work, anyone managed it successfully? I am on a road trip passing through Holland, Germany, Denmark, and now in Sweden on route to Norway. Each new country I have successfully roamed except Sweden, no luck in towns cities or motorways. PN web chat suggest it's a local network issue, and that there is nothing wrong with my account, smart cap not reached etc. It's definitely not a signal issue as phone finds loads of networks just won't connect to any. All PN offered was that they don't guarantee roaming services, pretty useless support as they won't even recognise it as an issue. 

Anyone know if roaming works in Norway as will be staying there for about 5 weeks

Thanks for any suggestions - have done all the usual

12 REPLIES 12
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Roaming in Sweden

Hi Phil_b!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing loss of service whilst abroad and although we work hard to provide a continuous high standard of service within the UK, I'm afraid there's no guarantee of service availability overseas.

When roaming abroad, It depends entirely on the signal strength, functionality with the masts and local network in that particular area and I'm afraid this isn't something we have control of. 

I would however, advise to search for a network manually and connecting to the network this way, if the foreign network allows. 

If you have any further queries, don't hesitate to get in touch!

- Rebeka 

Tombrett

No, definitely doesn't work in Sweden just got back from there. I have spoken to tech support about it but they think that there is nothing they can do as they use EE everywhere.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

but EE do support roaming in Sweden!. These problems with roaming in certain countries seem to be a PlusNet problem, possibly with the preferred network list on the SIM. From information I've seen on here they don't appear to be a local network signal problem instead they appear to be an authentication problem.

They (PlusNet) really need to address this problem, particularly in EU countries like Sweden since come the 15th it's going to be an EU requirement to 'Roam like at home'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phil_b
Hooked

Sorry Rebeka, but nothing to do with network availability or signal strength, it's definitely a PN issue. Tried manual connection and for all available networks got a message on phone saying your SIM does not allow connection to this network. Drove into Norway and within 30 seconds the phone connected.
Tombrett

Yes, absolutely agree. This is a problem with authentication and nothing else and seems only to occur in Sweden. I went across the border to Denmark and instantly had connection. Plusnet need to address this problem with their supplier EE fast!
Poffley

I am just back from a holiday in Sweden and had zero coverage the whole time. I tried getting PlusNet support but it was so slow (private message to a support team member, reply back the next day asking for my authentication details, reply back to her, and then no reply for about 3 days while she was off... completely useless) all saying that I just need to turn my phone off and on, or select a roaming option manually - none of which worked of course.

My husband, on the other hand, had two phones with him (Vodafone and O2 I think) both of which worked seamlessly from the moment we landed. PlusNet need to sort themselves out and tell the truth, I'm very cross.

maguirre

Hi,

I have same issue in Berlin (no authentication to the network)

Any advice?

Thanks

Tombrett

I have spoken to numerous people at PN support over the last few weeks but there may be a solution. PN buys the service from EE and for some reason the 'handshaking' provided by EE will not work with any Swedish network. This has to an oversight on EE's part as their own sims work fine in Sweden. I spoke to a man at PN yesterday who will hopefully be able to get PN to talk to EE to fix the problem. I also believe that an EU law (we are still a member) comes into effect today that all mobile service providers must allow their customers to 'roam like home'. So PN are legally required to provide a service in Sweden. Fingers crossed. Xxx
Poffley

Thank you so much for persisting with that - now perhaps PlusNet community staff will actually look into Roaming problems a bit more rather than just fobbing us off with the standard advice. Let's hope that EE fix it! (and for other countries too?)

Phil_b
Hooked

Yes, thanks for persisting. You seem to have got much more technical savvy support than I experienced. Hopefully something will have been sorted for when we return to Sweden in 3 weeks time, although I won't hold my breath.
Phil_b
Hooked

Does anyone know if PN have sorted this issue out yet. Just about to head back into Sweden and it would be good to know if I can expect to have any phone or internet connection over the next couple of weeks. Cheers
Phil_b
Hooked

Fix
Well just crossed back into Sweden and great news, everything works. Nothing changed on my phone since a few weeks ago when phone wouldn't connect anywhere so it looks like PN have sorted this. Hopefully it's fixed for everyone and not just my account.