cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Australia

dom54

Roaming in Australia

UK Resident travelling in AUS. Although I have more than £30 in my smart cap, I cannot access internet and GPS outside of a wifi. 4G not working. Can anyone help me with this? Obviously 4/5G access is a basic requirement when travelling outside of a wifi range. Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

Re: Roaming in Australia

@dom54 

Did you switch data off before you arrived in Australia? Data is £6/MB. Yes, that's £6,000/GB. Your phone can get through your smart cap just booting up before getting to the instruction to switch off data. See https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/

Get a local SIM card.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Or locally 'rent' something like a EE minihub. Which can then provision up to four devices.

(Theis was brought to you by someone who went to Japan and had the same experience).

dom54

It was a little late to learn that I should have switch data off before arriving in AUS and useful to advise on buying a SIIM card which has solved the problem. It would be useful if PlusNet were upfront about there inability to offer full services outside of the EU (as seems to be the case). This would help travelling customers to be plan... thank you for your response.