Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming failure in Isle of Man

paulyarm
Dabbler

Re: Roaming failure in Isle of Man

Brendan,

Has anything changed for you today?  As well as not being able to make calls, as of today, my wife can no longer receive calls either.  Text and data do still work.  The situation is getting worse not better!

Brendan
Hooked

Hi paulyarm,

No I seem to be able to receive calls OK, but on the Sure network. Still cannot register my Plusnet SIM on Manx Telecom network and still told this morning by Plusnet customer service that Manx Telecom are barred from roaming at the moment (for commercial reasons). They are "still working on it. Have escalated it to a complaint. Other than that snookered since 20/12/2020! And of course they are pointing out that in the terms, international use is not guaranteed.

paulyarm
Dabbler

Hi Bernard,

We were told the same thing about overseas service not being guaranteed but if you read the terms and conditions they say "We can't be responsible for the quality and coverage of the service".  I believe that is contractually very different to advertising a service (and Plusnet are still advertising that they will provide a service in the IOM) when you do not have the contractual agreements in place to provide that service.  In our discussions with them, the options of cancellation without penalty and compensation when this is all over if we stick with them have been offered.

paulyarm
Dabbler

We are back to as it has been over the last few weeks again now.  For some reason my wife can now receive calls again (and has data & can send and receive texts but can't make calls) when connected to Sure and can't connect to MT at all.

I have no idea what caused her to lose the ability to receive calls this morning and then allowed it again this afternoon.  Plusnet say they didn't do anything!

paulyarm
Dabbler

I have just spoken to Manx Telecom and they claim that this is connected with Brexit.  They say that when the UK left the EU contracts need to be re-agreed.  This has been done with some UK providers but they say EE are not responding to MT.  However, this doesn't appear to be the full story as it doesn't explain why there has been a problem connecting to MT since (I think) around the beginning of December and people on EE can apparently make calls on Sure but those on Plusnet can't.

Brendan
Hooked

Yes why would that explain why my problem started on 20/12/2020. And I also had exactly the same problem when I was here in June 2020. It did start working after a couple of weeks, but no-one at Plusnet ever told me of anything they had done to fix it.