cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming data usage

obersalz

Roaming data usage

I've recently returned from a holiday in America. In Birmingham airport I switched my phone to airplane mode before take off. Being aware of the high roaming charges I also disabled roaming on my phone and turned mobile data to off. Internet access was only available by wifi which I used in my US hotel. During my visit I used the previously wifi downloaded maps and GPS to find my way around. During this time I was constantly reminded by my phone that roaming was off. My return was via Dublin where I used the Dublin airport wifi after turning off airplane mode which I forgot to activate on the flght back to Birmingham. In Birmingham I enabled roaming and enabled mobile data.

My data allowance had been 2% used before the trip and  80% immediately afterwards.. I am at a loss to understand why. I've just used maps/GPS again with mobile activated and I am now capped at 100% used. Have I done something wrong here. All maps were downloaded using my home wifi.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Roaming data usage

If you went to the states and used data your allowance wouldn’t be impacted and you’d have a huge bill.

You can sign on to your account and see usage by day.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
obersalz

First of all thank you for your response.

As t I didn't use any data since roaming/mobile was off and I only used previously wifi downloaded maps how come my data allowance was used . Also could you  please explain what you mean by "your allowance wouldn’t be impacted and you’d have a huge bill". I have a £10 cap which has been used and I don't understand how.

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @obersalz!

Thanks for getting in touch! 

This does sound unusual - from what you've said I also wouldn't expect there to be huge charges on your account.

I'd definitely like to look into this for you!

Can you please send me a Private Message with your mobile number so I can access your account and look into it?

Thank you!

-Oli