Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming data bundles?

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Roaming data bundles?

Are there or will there be any roaming data bundles?

One of the killers for me is roaming data charges. We're still not signed up EU no roaming charges* until next year and even then if we were many operators don't allow data to come out of your inclusive data bundle when roaming so ends up still being expensive when charged per MB. On top of that, outside the EU it's insane. I notice Plusnet rates are the same as EE, so in USA it's £8 per MB !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm currently with EE and at least have bundles on offer which give me a measly amount but for not so much of a sting, although US is still a bad deal.

Three are one of the few that offer good "as at home" deals, inc US. Though their coverage in UK is the limitation for me where I need to use it. Also getting off EE is a pain as we still operate "leaving provider led" in the UK which makes switching difficult. Got vague hope that Plusnet using EE network might make it easier to switch, but being separate companies, probably not.

* - of course, Brexit means we may loose the EU benefits Wink

8 REPLIES 8
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Roaming data bundles?

I've already asked a question about using the phone abroad - check out https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Using-PlusNet-mobile-abroad-is-too-expensive/m-p/1389803#U13898...

The PlusNet response was "We don't provide any bolt-ons whilst abroad. International and Roaming calls etc aren't included within your allowance, so it will charge extra"

dantheasp

That is a shame - and the only disappointing aspect of Plusnet Mobile I've found so far. Signed up on launch day and have otherwise been impressed all round.

Hopefully they'll put together some roaming bundles in the future as given the (terrifying) charges listed it looks like I'll be using my phone on WiFi and nothing else when I'm abroad. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

It's been mentioned various times in the past that a cheaper option is often to ensure your phone is unlocked and source a local SIM

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dantheasp

Thanks for the tip. Not particularly convenient, but certainly a good, cheap option.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi deadkenny,

At the moment we don't have any roaming bundles and there is nothing to suggest there will be in the near future. I'll be sure to pass this feedback on and who knows, maybe this is something that the team will decide to offer in time.

If you need anything at all, give me a shout, I'm more than happy to help!

- Rebeka Smiley

driftwood

I am shocked to discover that I have been charged £27 to listen to less than 10 voicemail messages while in Russia!!!!!

Nowhere within Plusnet can I find out how to switch off roaming Sad

MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Good morning driftwood,

Sorry to hear you weren't prepared for those charges - it's one of the reasons why we start with the Smart Cap set to £10 (rather than the maximum £30) on new accounts.

Roaming is usually a handset option you can disable, but if you need to, you can contact us (for example, by private messaging one of us here, or dialing 500 for free) and we can disable roaming entirely for your account until you contact us to set it again.

Hope that helps!

driftwood

@MarcJohnson wrote:

>Good morning @driftwood,

Good afternoon, Marc. (I am +2 hours from your local time.)

>Sorry to hear you weren't prepared for those charges

I knew that roaming is/was expensive, hence avoided making calls, only using SMS.

However, I am furious that dialing 555 for voicemail, which I don't want to use anyway, appears to be charged at £3/min - the same as any other call from Zone 7(?).

>- it's one of the reasons why we start with the Smart Cap set to £10 (rather than the maximum £30) on new accounts.

I would say that all your accounts are relatively new, but that's by the by.

>Roaming is usually a handset option you can disable,

I have not found any way to do it ;-(

>but if you need to, you can contact us (for example, by private messaging one of us here, or dialing 500 for free) and we can disable roaming entirely for your account until you contact us to set it again.

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind.

I have 2 partial workarounds;-

1) I send SMS messages using Skype, costing less than 10 pence each, purporting to come from my Plusnet number, but, of course, I still have to pay to receive replies;

2) I bought a Russian SIm card, but cannot anticipate and notify anyone who might try to contact me on my Plusnet number.

Consequently, I am a very dissatisfied customer and, unless some significant amount of refund/discount is given to me, will seriously consider cancelling my mobile contract/account - not to mention my broadband account, which, up until now, I had been perfectly happy with.

So much for "Mate's Rates"! 😞

Hope that helps!

Not a great deal - in both senses ;-(

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quotes fixed.