cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Information - Argentina

jimkeir
Hooked

Roaming Information - Argentina

This thread is posted to try and add some actual usable information, beyond the standard Plusnet response to roaming issues. I hope that information like this will be added to the roaming FAQ if there is a good response!

Roaming appears to be almost unusable in Argentina.

Two phones tested (Samsung S6 Edge Plus, Alcatel Pixi 4). Both connect easily to "AR Personal" network. It is required that you disable LTE support if your phone has it, because although the phone will show as connected, it will receive and send nothing at all if LTE support is on.

SMS: Can receive, but not send. Sending an SMS appears to be successful, but nothing is ever received.

Phone: Calls connect but are cut off immediately, for both making and receiving calls. Oddly, the Pixi 4 could make a roaming call to another Argentinian number but not any others; the Samsung could not make or receive calls at all, having the immediate disconnect problem.

Tested in Ushuaia, El Calafate, El Chalten, and Buenos Aires.

Please add any more information or fixes!

3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Roaming Information - Argentina

Hi jimkeir,

I have responded to your other post here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Roaming-Information-Chile/m-p/1514310/highlight/false#M8028

There is also some troubleshooting steps you can try, these are as follows:

Re-booting your handset

• Turn the handset off
  • Remove the SIM card
  • Leave it for a couple of minutes
  • Replace the SIM card
  • Turn the handset on

This will refresh the signal and attempt to re-establish a connection with the local network.

> Manually connecting to a network

We do advise that you may need to manually search for a local network and attempt to connect this way. All handsets vary dependant on their make and model however, a general search on an Android handset would be:

• From the home screen, tap and drag the Notifications bar downwards.
  • Tap the Settings icon.
  • Scroll to and tap More networks.
  • Tap Mobile networks.
  • Tap Network operators. If prompted tap OK.
  • Tap the required network.

> Trying the SIM in another handset

• If possible, try using a friend/family members handset that is unlocked to all networks to see if the SIM has any network connectivity in an entirely different device.

- Rebeka

jimkeir
Hooked

Hi Rebekah,

Thanks for the reply. I have already done all the suggested troubleshooting, and tested two SIMs on two accounts in two phones, before posting these. I'm not looking for help, I've accepted that roaming doesn't work. I'm trying to get as much information out to people as possible, to help others where the information from Plusnet is lacking or incorrect.

For example, I note that the standard reply says "Tap the required network", but there is no way of finding out what the required network is. 

For others' information, I was told by Plusnet that the supported network in Chile is "Telefonica Chile", which trades locally as "Movistar". I can also confirm that a manual connection to this network failed with "SIM is not authorised to connect to this network", two SIMs, two accounts, two phones.

goloap

I was recently in Argentina as well and I have experience the exact same behaviour as reported by jimkeir. Could make or receive calls.

Btw, slightly off topic, but the phone wouldn't connect at all in Uruguay. I think Plusnet Mobile has definite issues in South America.