cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeat of last month's intermittent outage.

brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Repeat of last month's intermittent outage.

Last month the mast I normally get service had a problem and was taken out of service, though no-one has been able to identify what was wrong . Attached is a screen shot of an app that provides info about the current mast I'm using which is up and down like a yo-yo for the past couple of hours. Today additionally I have been connected to a mast over at Mottram Moor some two miles away. This is odd because there is a mast centrally in town which is only a quarter of a mile away and I only get connected to that if I am in the immediate vicinity.
When I check status on the EE checker for my postcode covering Glossop it says there are no issues. I have a second SIM for another carrier which is showing no issue.
This isn't very good. The mast that currently provides service is situated a significant distance from the town of Glossop where I live and it's in the middle of nowhere. Don't get what's happening with the service.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
9 REPLIES 9
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Repeat of last month's intermittent outage.

Hi @brush6136,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing intermittent problems with your signal and that your mobile is not connecting to the closest mast. Do the intermittent problems solely occur when you're using your mobile indoors or do they occur when you're outdoors too?

Please can you try turning airplane mode on for three seconds and then turning it back off, which should reboot the signal and hopefully allow you to connect to the closest mast. If this doesn't resolve the problem, please can you turn your phone off, remove and reinsert the SIM and then turn it back on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
brush6136
Grafter

Hi, I've only ever noticed outages whilst at home, but nevertheless annoying if you want to make a call or send a text. I'd rebooted a couple of times but not tried the aeroplane toggle to reset the signal. I removed the sim, wiped it with a cloth. I've re-inserted the SIM and the mast is no longer connecting and no signal at all. The other SIM from GiffGaff (O2) is functioning fine. I was thinking of getting rid of them but I'll hold off for a while. Having just looked at the display a signal has appeared but only a couple of bars. Still don't understand why I'm connecting to a mast so far away.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @brush6136,

Thank you for trying that and I'm sorry to hear that the signal is still weak. If possible, please can you try your SIM in a different handset to rule out any issues with your handset's aerial.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
brush6136
Grafter

Additionally I tried switching the SIMs around the problem is still there but has moved with the SIM. This eliminates a fault with SIM slots and leaves either a faulty SIM or the mast.
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @brush6136

So we can look into this further, can you please send me a Private Message with the following details:- 

- Your Full Name

- Your Full Home Address, including your postcode

- Your Mobile Number

Please respond back to this thread, once you have sent me a PM.

Kind regards.

brush6136
Grafter

I've just checked the EE site for my area and they report issues and hope to fix things within the next 16 hours. I see in another thread that the Plusnet service does not take the complete coverage that EE uses and the 800ghz band 20 is not available. This might account for poor or erratic service indoors.
brush6136
Grafter

Yesterday (Saturday) I was away from home for the majority of the day, in Southport. I didn't have any problems apart from when I was indoors. That's because where I was visiting is a block of apartments and is built on a frame of girders and reinforced concrete, so not surprising. Whilst outside I did not have any issues, connecting to an EE mast 800 meters away and when moving out of that range to a mast that was a little closer, some 400 meters away. No problems with data. That seems to suggest no issue with device or SIM and that there are some local conditions here in Glossop affecting things. The connectivity was OK when I got back to Glossop and has remained so. This indicates whatever the issue that was later reported on EE's site had been fixed. I will monitor this more closely whilst outside because I find it strange that I am getting service from a mast which is just outside the town limits, instead of the one closer to me in the town centre.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, cheers for the update and yes please let us know if that becomes an issue again. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brush6136
Grafter

Hopefully just to provide further insight into this issue if it arises again. Today I checked outside (on my patio). I have connected to a different mast but it is still some distance away but a fraction nearer than the last one. This "new" mast is again outside of the town beside the initial climb up the Snake Pass. But I suppose I shouldn't grumble the signal strength is slightly better (53% Vs 43%). Very strange goings on indeed. I also don't understand why most of EE's masts seem to be grouped on the Eastern side of the town and clustered closely together.