Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Text Messages whilst in USA

Lonty

Receiving Text Messages whilst in USA

I will shortly be spending a month in the USA

I plan to buy a local SIM to avoid heavy data and call charges

However I need to receive text messages on my UK mobile number in order to satisfy various secured services (e.g. banks) who use 2 -step verification via text messages.on my UK mobile

Thus my questions are :

1) will I be able to receive such text messages from the UK on my UK SIM (I have a 2 SIM phone) ?

2) Will I be charged to receive them ?

3) Will the sender receive a supplementary bill ?

Thank you for any help

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Receiving Text Messages whilst in USA

@Lonty I was going to point you at the mobile price guide but looking at it its not clear about charges for receiving SMS texts.

However I believe this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Charges-for-recieving-texts-while-roaming-outside-europe/td-p/1... confirmed that receiving SMS texts is free.

You should be able to receive SMS texts on your UK sim when in the USA and the sender will not be charged any more than their normal charge for sending a text to a UK number.

NB make sure your disable mobile data and auto retrieval of MMS on your UK sim though!! Otherwise you could see some eye-watering roaming charges.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joanajudd

Re: Receiving Text Messages whilst in USA

Thank you. Now I understand more.