cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of usage for insurance claim

charlesbrading

Proof of usage for insurance claim

Hello,

My phone was stolen and my insurance company are asking for proof of IMEI usage, which they say i should be able to get from Plusnet. I have spoken to Plusnet who say they cannot provide this information.

The phone was bought unlocked from eBay and i am on a pay monthly SIM with Plusnet.

Has anyone has any similar experience and ended up getting it resolved?

Thanks very much

18 REPLIES 18
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Proof of usage for insurance claim

Hi @charlesbrading

Could you provide your mobile number, full name and full address via a PM and I'll ask one of our team to look at this for you?

This isn't a query we've had before, but I'm sure we can provide something that confirms your ownership and use of your IMEI with the Plusnet SIM.

Thanks

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

A bit of googling shows that this is not a problem unique to Plusnet. Getting the information from any mobile provider seems to a bit like the proverbial 'blood from a stone' and I'm sure the insurance companies know this. It's a convenient way to delay paying out.

Theres some indication out there that making a 'subject access request' for information relating to imei numbers used on the account may reap results...

@RandallFlagg  it has been asked before https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Proof-of-usage-required-for-Mobile-Insurance/td-p/1514475 but it's quite a while ago

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for highlighting that, @MisterW - hopefully the response will be different this time around.

Dave

charlesbrading

I hope so!

I have PM'd you that info

Thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Charles - I've responded with some additional info I need for security.

Whilst you're providing that via PM, could you let me know specifically what the insurance company have asked you to provide? Are they looking for a date range when that IMEI was assigned to your SIM or confirmation that the IMEI has been blocked following the theft of the handset, or something else?

We're likely going to need to create something for you manually so want to ensure we provide the right information.

Thanks

Dave

charlesbrading

"Dear Mr Brading,

Proof of usage is a document you need to request from your network provider as it goes off the phones usage, a phone bill goes off the sim card usage"

This is what they sent me, responding to me sending them my latest bill, thinking that would suffice as proof of usage. I am not really sure what it is they are after either and have repeatedly asked them to be more specific. I am waiting to hear back from them now.

Thanks Dave, and sorry i called you Randall 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Don't be sorry at all - I chose the name Randall Flagg on here because I'm a big fan of Stephen King's 'The Stand' Smiley

Could you let me know when they come back to you and I'll pick this up accordingly?

I'm here until 10pm this evening.

Thanks

Dave

charlesbrading

Ok, will do.

Unfortunately i doubt it will be today. They have generally being getting back to me every couple of days. As and when they do I will drop a message here.

Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

From my googling, I believe they're looking for confirmation that the phone in question was actually in use whilst the insurance was in place I.e they're trying to prevent the situation where the insurance was taken out after the loss ( and I'm not accusing anyone here! )

So I believe  they're looking for a list of what phone was used ( the imei number ) on the account and when.

Edit: an example request from here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Mobile-insurance-asking-for-information/td-p/3906...

Proof of usage for your handset:  We require proof from your network that your handset has been used, showing the dates of both first and last use. This documentation will need to contain your IMEI number and details of the last time of use. (Please note, we are unable to accept a phone bill as proof of usage, as this does not document the handset’s unique IMEI reference)."

I would assume that the imei is logged by the network at least every time the phone is turned on and registers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

conmcm

I'm having the same issue, but the person on the online chat said they can't provide proof of usage with the IMEI number if they didnt provide the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Hi @conmcm, thanks for getting in touch.

Could you please PM:

- your full name & confirmation that you are the account holder
- your full address including postcode
- the mobile number in question?

Once you've sent the requested information, please do let us know via this platform and we'll look into this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
conmcm

Hi @abails0105

I have sent those details.

thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @conmcm,

I've now replied via PM requesting further info. Give us a nudge here once you've replied and we can go from there.

Thanks.

conmcm

Hi @Mads

I have pm’d those details.

Thanks