Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems porting my number

FIXED
Georgie
Dabbler

Problems porting my number

My number was supposed to port today. At 11.30am my O2 sim stopped working and nothing has happened since then!

i have ported a number before a few times and it has always been very quick.

i have called Plusnet and they say it will happen today but it’s now nearly 7pm and I don’t think the people who deal with this are working now so I am without my number for the weekend now, I’m really fed up.

Did anyone have a number finish porting in the evening?

16 REPLIES 16
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Problems porting my number

Hi Georgie,

I'm very sorry for that your number port hasn't completed yet and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. I've replied to your comment on the other post - please let us know if this number port hasn't completed by midnight.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Georgie
Dabbler

No my number has NOT ported

I have spoken to Plusnet this morning, the records show that my number ported successfully!! It did not.

My case has to be passed to the Operations team to be investigated but of course they don’t work on Saturdays or Sundays so another 2 days without my number.

I also have to prove that my number hasn’t ported by making 3 calls tomorrow that are 2 hours apart from different postcodes. I thought this was a joke but no, if I don’t PROVE my number didn’t port the Operations team won’t investigate.

I cannot believe that I have to prove this. I am beyond unhappy and I STILL don’t have my number. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear this.

While the port in request has been completed, your account hasn't updated to the number you're wanting to port in and it doesn't look like we've sent you correspondence to advise the port has completed, so it's likely the port is delayed still.

I've emailed our operations team to see whether this is the case. If I'm right then I'm afraid there's not much we can do, as we'd be waiting on files from various other providers who have previously had the number. This isn't within our control.

We'll update you when we know more.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Georgie
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Yes that’s right my account hasn’t updated to the number I want ported in so the port definitely hasn’t completed.

I have  contacted O2 who have been able to confirm that my number has been sent out from them and my O2 account is closed.

I really hope that this is something that the Operations team can get sorted out tomorrow. I will have been without my number for 4 days by then. ☹️

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Georgie.

Unfortunately this isn't something our operations team can directly fix, as far as I'm aware we'd just be monitoring the delayed port for the necessary files to be received by the various previous providers of the number. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Georgie
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

Oh ..... so don’t your Operations team chase the delayed files?? And O2 have confirmed they have released the number. Who are the other providers who are delaying the process?

i have ported my number three times before and I have never had a delay like this.

jgfrancis
Grafter

I understand there are three parties involved in the porting of a number.

1. The network you are leaving

2. The network you are joining

3. The network that initially issued the number

Georgie
Dabbler

Hmm..... well in my case there are only two as O2 initially issued the number and they are also the network I have left and I am trying to port in to Plusnet.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Georgie 

I'm really sorry that this happened - can you confirm if you are now up and running on the ported in number? 

We are waiting on a reply from Ops (they don't work weekends I'm afraid), but I thought I'd check in here to see if anything has changed in the interim. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Georgie
Dabbler

No unfortunately not, my number has not been ported!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Fix

@Georgie - just had a reply from Ops. 

Looks like there has been an issue on O2's side of things (not just with your number port). 

We have not had a certain file report form them for the past 2 porting days, resulting in a delay on ports completing. 

Our back end teams and systems are working to try and replicate the files to push ports through, but as this is a fall back its not as quick as it would be should things have gone as expected from carrier to carrier. 

I am hopeful that this should complete for you by end of play today - can you let us know as soon as this goes through? 

Please accept my apologies for the this. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Georgie
Dabbler

Thanks for the update MoR at least I know something is happening now :))

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@MasterOfReality it's nice to see some timely (well almost) information coming back from OPS.

@Georgie If you're interested there's some really good information on the UK mobile number porting process here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Porting-in-explained/ta-p/4221529 . Whilst it describes it from an importing to Giffgaff POV it's equally applicable to Plusnet as an EE MVNO. As you can see it's a fairly complex process with lot's of manual actions and plently of scope to go wrong.

TBH I'm surprised it doesn't go wrong more often than it seems toShocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Georgie
Dabbler

Ah yes I had already seen the Giff Gaff information on Friday when I was trying to find out why my number hadn't ported. Its a really good article.

I am just disappointed at the standard responses from Plusnet when I called them on Friday.

It is the Plusnet people on this forum who have been the most helpful and been able to give me information on whats happening. (Thanks guys :))

I don't understand why the call centre people don't have access to the same information?