cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Porting Mobile Number

David24
Dabbler

Problems Porting Mobile Number

I rather stupidly moved from EE to Plusnet to bring together all my comms under one company. This was on 18th September, this was 14 days ago. My number has still not been ported properly I cannot receive calls. I have made masses of calls to 500, provided multiple examples of failed incoming calls but all I get, is that it will take 5 days. No one can give me answer an answer as to when this will be sorted out. The CSRs are powerless and can do little to help while their Ops Team cannot possibly be asked to accelerate resolution because they are way to important to deal with customer problems.

I just want to get my number back so I can ditch this dreadful company. In the meantime if anyone is experiencing similar problems, I have written to PlusNets CEO with a detailed complaint. His name and contact details are: 

Mr Andrew J. Baker

[Removed]

Moderators Note: Removed Incorrect Information.

43 REPLIES 43
David24
Dabbler

Porting Problems

See attached letter mentioned in previous post.

David24
Dabbler

Re: Problems Porting Mobile Number

If the information was incorrect, then this is because Plusnet have submitted incorrect information to Companies House. You need to correct it quickly to avoid a fine. In the meantime, you could post Mr Baker’s contact details on the forum so that complainants know who to contact as your CSR Department is utterly useless.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Porting Problems

Moderators Note

Two topics merged on same subject.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @David24 I am deeply sorry for the issues you are having with your Plusnet Mobile service and that you are not able to receive any calls at the moment.

We would like to assist you with your query through this support channel.

Can you please private message me the following details;-

- Your full name

- Your mobile number

- Your full home address, including your postcode

Please comment on the thread once you have sent me a PM.

Many thanks.

David24
Dabbler

Have sent Private Message as requested.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @David24 

I'm chasing this up with our operations team on the progression of the porting issue you're experiencing. 

As soon as I know more I'll let you know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@David24 I've got a reply back advising that the porting team are chasing up the routing with your previous provider and we're waiting for a further update. Again once we've got more information we'll let you know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David24
Dabbler

Sorry but why are you only now doing this, I have had to jump through hoops with promises of it will be sorted out in 5 days, that was over 15 days ago. You apparently do not have a complaints procedure or means of escalating complaints. From other posts your CEO, Andrew Baker, doesnt bother replying to letters and leaves compalints unresolved. This is appalling. I spoke to one of your CSRs today who have given me the same old rubbish about your ops team (who must not be disturbed or contacted). I asked your CSR, [CSA Removed], to provide me with a letter of Deadlock so I can raise my complaint with the ombudsman but he refused. This is disgusting customer service and I can’t believe that in this day and age you can get away with it. I shall be writing to the Chairman of BT and Ofcom to find out why you do not have a proper complaints procedure and means of escalation.

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @David24 

We do have a complaints procedure, that can be found Here at the bottom of every plus.net page and any high level complaints are passed through to our Customer Advocates department to case manage. If you've sent your letter to the BT office in London, then this will find its way to us but normally takes around 2 weeks as it's not directly sent to us.

However it's worth noting that the social media/community team myself included are a part of this department and we're able to liaise closely with our complaints team (I sit directly opposite them). We're not at deadlock yet because we are still actively resolving the problem and it's worth noting that the Ombudsman won't have any influence over this issue.

Moving on to the issue at hand with your port, this was raised to Ops on the 22nd and cannot be solely resolved by Ops as it's in hand with the porting team, who are waiting for the correct data from your previous provider. This was the update I received today from an Ops colleague.

There are a lot of cogs in the chain when it comes to porting and while the majority go through fine, there are a very small number which encounter problems. That's not to say it's acceptable, it's just me being honest and pragmatic.

I am happy to relay any updates I receive from Ops however our Ops/Porting teams would be proactively chasing this up in the background to ensure that this is resolved as soon as we possibly can.

Apologies for the experience you've had with your transfer and the inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David24
Dabbler

Thank you for your response. Perhaps some of your team need additional training regarding complaints handling. At every step over the last 15 or so days, I have been told there is no resolution procedure nor a means to escalate...indeed the suggestion being that CSR managers are pretty much powerless to do anything, therefore begging the question as to why their positions need to exist.

I note your comments about it taking 2 weeks for complaints to your CEO reaching your site. You obviously need a better broadband service! From other customer comments your CEO, Andy Baker, doesn’t appear to respond to customer letters or to take action on complaints. I have therefore contacted the CEO of your parent Company, BT, copying Mr Jansen into correspondence on this matter. Hopefully BT have a better connection and it will take less than 2 weeks to relay this to their Plusnet subsidiary.

I note that you dismiss the Ombudsman service but contrary to your opinion, this matter is now deadlocked. I was promised a transfer by CoB on 18/9. I fully accept that glitches and errors can and do occur, I am not an unreasonable person but when I am serially faced with obfuscation, slip sliding and buck passing then I will not put up with it. Continuous calls saying that things are being resolved when evidently they are not is unacceptable and should be regarded as such by any organisation who adhere to principles of quality and customer service. I am 15 days on from a consecutive series of promises that things would be resolved within 5 working days during which you botched submissions to your all powerful, uncontactable and unaccountable “Ops Team”, despite the fact that the fault was due to your CSR failing to do what they should have done. You expect me to keep faith that your Ops Team are indeed proactively trying to resolve the issue but neither you nor your ineffectual CSRs can provide an iota of evidence to support that any action is being taken. EE is your host service provider and one might expect that you have a relationship with them that would enable a speedy resolution.

I have written to the Ombudsmen and explained that you will not provide a letter of Deadlock and have copied them into the detailed complaint I lodged with your CEO. Whether they are prepared to take action remains to be seen. I hope that readers of this and other posts I have put up on a number of sites who might be considering a switch to Plusnet will perhaps reflect on the fact that porting to your service can take several weeks with absolutely no guarantee of resolution should there be problem (something you omit from your advertising) and they can judge for themselves whether they are happy to put up with the kind of obfuscation and backsliding your CSRs employ. During my last 2 encounters I was promised call backs, highlighting the very problem, disinterest, because a cursory glance at whatever notes you keep would have revealed that I am unable to receive any incoming calls.

As a longstanding broadband customer, I make these comments with no joy. All I now wish to do is get my mobile number back and leave Plusnet....a result that I am sure would be mutually beneficial. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @David24 

Perhaps some of your team need additional training regarding complaints handling. At every step over the last 15 or so days, I have been told there is no resolution procedure nor a means to escalate...indeed the suggestion being that CSR managers are pretty much powerless to do anything, therefore begging the question as to why their positions need to exist.

We'll pass feedback on where appropriate, because we do have a complaints process. However for this type of issue it's correct that a line manager or myself in Advocates can't do anything more as it's already in hand with the right people.

I note your comments about it taking 2 weeks for complaints to your CEO reaching your site.

I'm referring about a letter posted to the BT office in London as opposed to writing directly to Plusnet. To set expectations I'm afraid the processing time is up to 14 days for it to reach us.

From other customer comments your CEO, Andy Baker, doesn’t appear to respond to customer letters or to take action on complaints.

As per my above response, all high level complaints are passed to our Advocates department in Sheffield or Leeds to case manage. I do apologise though for the delay in us receiving your letter however you have added it to your reply here and I've read it through, which has brought it to the attention of myself of the social media/community team in Advocates.

I note that you dismiss the Ombudsman service but contrary to your opinion, this matter is now deadlocked. I was promised a transfer by CoB on 18/9. 

Complaints process says that you'd be able to take your complaint to the Alternative Dispute Resolution(ADR) scheme i.e. Ombudsman 8 weeks after you've first complained, or we agree we're at deadlock which we aren't as we are still in the process of resolving the problem. Agreeing deadlock means that nothing can be done to resolve something.

I fully accept that glitches and errors can and do occur, I am not an unreasonable person but when I am serially faced with obfuscation, slip sliding and buck passing then I will not put up with it. Continuous calls saying that things are being resolved when evidently they are not is unacceptable and should be regarded as such by any organisation who adhere to principles of quality and customer service. I am 15 days on from a consecutive series of promises that things would be resolved within 5 working days during which you botched submissions to your all powerful, uncontactable and unaccountable “Ops Team”, despite the fact that the fault was due to your CSR failing to do what they should have done. You expect me to keep faith that your Ops Team are indeed proactively trying to resolve the issue but neither you nor your ineffectual CSRs can provide an iota of evidence to support that any action is being taken. EE is your host service provider and one might expect that you have a relationship with them that would enable a speedy resolution.

I do sincerely apologise for the delay in getting this resolved however it's not something our Ops or Porting teams can directly fix as they're waiting on important information from another provider. I actually now see that you've said you've moved from EE and I earlier (wrongfully it seems) assumed that we were waiting on your previous provider. 

I'm not comfortable in sharing the name of the provider publicly but we are still waiting on the correct routing records. When processing mobile number ports, the gaining-provider (That's us) needs to liaise with other providers who have had the mobile number previously (I believe the very first one and the last one).

While our Ops team aren't customer facing which means you can't contact them, we can liaise with them and they do absolutely and regularly proactively chase the appropriate teams for updates. While I can't advise what specific actions the porting team are taking, I can assure you that the correct actions are being taken to bring this to a resolution.

I get that this issue possibly could've been raised sooner than the 22nd however it's standard process to go through troubleshooting before raising a problem to Ops, because different issues can have the same symptoms. The examples we asked you to provide help Ops in identifying what's happening exactly at the moment you're unable to receive calls.

During my last 2 encounters I was promised call backs, highlighting the very problem, disinterest, because a cursory glance at whatever notes you keep would have revealed that I am unable to receive any incoming calls.

That's not what I'd expect to see from a customer service point of view and definitely something within our power to control, so we'll make sure feedback is passed on regarding how your calls have been handled where appropriate.

As a longstanding broadband customer, I make these comments with no joy. All I now wish to do is get my mobile number back and leave Plusnet....a result that I am sure would be mutually beneficial.

There's no way that we'd have wanted any of the issues you're experiencing, in an ideal world we'd love everyone to have a perfectly smooth transfer or if issues do occur to put them right as quickly and efficiently as possible. Unfortunately due to the reasons I've mentioned above, this issue affecting your port is a little complicated and not as easy to fix.

I'm sure that once we've got this resolved and discussed a fair and proportionate goodwill gesture for the inconvenience it's caused, if you choose to stick with us, you'll hopefully have no further problems to worry about.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Porting Problems

I suspect you hit the nail firmly on it's head, David, re hoping a customer will move (I'll not use your terminology!)and the issue  will then be the new provider's problem

I did "go away" some 18 months ago because I had a broadband/landline fault that 4 Openreach "engineers" couldn't fix. PN then appeared to lose interest and maintained there wasn't a fault. When I received a services price rise e-mail I took the opportunity to leave. I did phone to advise I was leaving and there was no attempt whatsoever to keep my custom, just a o.k., off you toddle, attitude. No doubt because I had the audacity to keep saying I had a fault with my service.

I did migrate to elsewhere and the fault was found and fixed within two weeks because my new provider pushed OR to get things done.

David24
Dabbler

“We'll pass feedback on where appropriate, because we do have a complaints process. However for this type of issue it's correct that a line manager or myself in Advocates can't do anything more as it's already in hand with the right people.”

Thank you for confirming a basic point that I have made several times which is there is a lack of accountability in Plusnet because you, CSRs and their managers are powerless to do anything. That’s called buck passing!

“I'm referring about a letter posted to the BT office in London as opposed to writing directly to Plusnet. To set expectations I'm afraid the processing time is up to 14 days for it to reach us.”

That’s fine, I encourage people to write to CEOs when they are receiving substandard service. Its important for the Executive to have a finger on the pulse of their own business because they are answerable to share and stakeholders who often are rather more informed. The quality of an organisation is not necessarily about whether mistakes or errors occurred, that’s inevitable even in the best run organisations, its about how you deal with them. This requires managing client expectations in a reasonable and efficient way. 

“I do sincerely apologise for the delay in getting this resolved however it's not something our Ops or Porting teams can directly fix as they're waiting on important information from another provider. I actually now see that you've said you've moved from EE and I earlier (wrongfully it seems) assumed that we were waiting on your previous provider. 

I'm not comfortable in sharing the name of the provider publicly but we are still waiting on the correct routing records. When processing mobile number ports, the gaining-provider (That's us) needs to liaise with other providers who have had the mobile number previously (I believe the very first one and the last one).”

So are you telling me that there is no Ofcom or intra-provider service level agreements that place an obligation or mutual acceptance of commonly agreed standards that ensure such actions are completed within a specified time?

“While our Ops team aren't customer facing which means you can't contact them, we can liaise with them and they do absolutely and regularly proactively chase the appropriate teams for updates. While I can't advise what specific actions the porting team are taking, I can assure you that the correct actions are being taken to bring this to a resolution.”

You can’t advise specific actions but can assure me they are being taken? How can you possibly offer any assurance when you lack knowledge or  control over these actions by a department remote from yourself? I think that what you are really saying is that you don’t know what your “Ops Team” are doing but have blind faith that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Hmm! Personally, I would as someone who is customer facing and takes the flack for others failures, want a mechanism to reassure myself that actions are indeed being taken to ensure that I can give truthful, evidence based explanations to customers leading to a prompt resolution of technical issues. Blind faith doesn’t cut it for me I’m afraid.

“I get that this issue possibly could've been raised sooner than the 22nd however it's standard process to go through troubleshooting before raising a problem to Ops, because different issues can have the same symptoms. The examples we asked you to provide help Ops in identifying what's happening exactly at the moment you're unable to receive calls”.

You clearly did not read my letter properly because one of the points I made is that I had raised this issue on 18, 19 and 20th September. On the 20th I was given very specific instructions about submitting 3 exemplars of failed incoming calls that needed to be submitted by no later than 10pm on Sunday 22 September in readiness for your Ops Team re-opening on Monday morning, these had to be within 48 hours to enable them to be traced. I then outlined Leon’s reluctance to take this data, perhaps a reluctance which then led to you all powerful Ops Team rejecting his submission because it had not been done correctly. This was something I accidentally discovered when calling Molly. If I had not called that Tuesday, what would have happened? Would I still be sitting here waiting for a response?  So your response that this issue could’ve have possibly been raised sooner than 22nd is nonsense, it was but because of your CSRs incompetence, I had to repeat the exercise.

“I'm sure that once we've got this resolved and discussed a fair and proportionate goodwill gesture for the inconvenience it's caused, if you choose to stick with us, you'll hopefully have no further problems to worry about.”

This is not about compensation or goodwill gestures, I have stated this in my various phone calls. Ultimately what I want is my mobile number back with a reliable service. “Hopefully have no further problems to worry about” On evidence so far, I know that if I do have problems, the best I can probably hope for is blind faith. No thanks.

Additional observations:

1. A simple phone call from your office would’ve identified the line disconnection problem from the very outset. Why should I have to make the example calls when a 6 year old with a phone could have identified the problem, this isn’t rocket science just a phone call. Of course, if your all powerful Ops Team weren’t so precious, they could have picked up a phone and done the same? Instantly identifying the issue and initiating a resolution. That would cut down the number of days from problem onset as well as the number of unnecessary calls. Someone needs to kick a few backsides in your inefficient and slothful Ops Team.
  2. I have been promised return calls from your CSRs on multiple occasions, not ONE single promised call has ever been received (apart from an instructional email about submitting examples on 20th September. On two occasions calls were disconnected (see below) which may be due to poor signal or your CSR hanging-up, what efforts did Charlotte and Richard make to get back in touch? I accept that I can’t receive any incoming mobile calls but how about email, text and dare I say it, the landline service that I get from Plusnet. Why have I never received any of these promised communications or a courtesy message when calls got cut off? 
  3. Such service as I do get varies between “No Service” to 1 bar of signal on both iPhones 6 & 11; 4G is at very best a mere aspiration. My wife (iPhone 6) is on O2 and at home she receives 3-4 bars of 4G. I look out of my window and by direct line of sight can see an EE cell tower less than 200 metres away (Cell ID 20416/LAC2009) and there is a further EE tower nearby (324mtrs) away (Cell ID 6949376/LAC11343). I don’t know whether this issue will get fixed if and when the number is ported correctly but it will not be acceptable if this poor signal remains; especially since as already mentioned EE was my previous provider and hosts your service. I have read of other customers complaining about poor signal quality and the explanation often appears to be that the service Plusnet commissions from EE is significantly inferior/cutback compared to the one provided to their own clients.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi there @David24,

Thanks for getting back to us.

To cut a long story short the info @Gandalf provided is correct of the situation at present

" ... but we are still waiting on the correct routing records. When processing mobile number ports, the gaining-provider (That's us) needs to liaise with other providers who have had the mobile number previously (I believe the very first one and the last one)"

Of course there are SLA's, and these sometimes do go over, and I can honestly understand the frustration and upset caused to you by the constant waiting and the disappointment you have expressed on this thread. We are unable to speed the resolution for this up. It's with the right team who, I can assure you are working on getting this resolved for you.

Thank you for passing that info across regarding the experience you've had with our staff, as Gandalf mentioned feedback will be passed along to the correct individuals for this to be dealt with. 

We'll update you in due course once we have further info on the porting situation for you.

Thanks.