cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase CPI wrong not 1.5% but 0.9%

mkkoriba
Hooked

Price increase CPI wrong not 1.5% but 0.9%

I got an email today that the increase is 1.5% based on CPI increase of 1.5% as per the ONS in April 2020.

This is wrong! The  CPI in April  2020  is 0.9% NOT 1.5%  as per the ONS - the evidence is below. It is a small different but Plusnet should get it right and not rely on their customers to check their facts

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices

April CPI 0.9%

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Price increase CPI wrong not 1.5% but 0.9%

It would appear that RPI has been used by mistake. Talk about Plusnet making a rod for their own back!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've escalated this, as it would appear that incorrect figures have been used for the increase.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No doubt it will be blamed on the new rubbish billing system which is taking an eternity to correct

HD

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning    Superuser 

Has the billing team had a look at this yet

Thanks HD

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, I had a response to the escalation yesterday. I had hoped that someone from PN would respond directly to this thread but in the absence of that I will summarise the reponse below

Essentially the confusion appears to be from the way people are interpreting the e-mail.

When we say we're using the CPI rate from April it means we're using the rate that was published in April (Which was for March and was 1.5%) as it runs about a month or so behind. E.g. April's CPI is published in May, May's in June and so on.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you mean but the T&C are very poorly written

It should say that its the March CPI announced in April not the April CPI which is announced in May

The difference for me is only a few pence so I'm not worried

HD

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Badly written ....and they appear to have changed the month used - ts and cs said Jan. CPI was used.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Just had my price rise email - yes they are increasing by 1.5% (CPI published in April) for me 7p from 21st July. AND the ts and cs are changing from the same date.

john4647

Actually the April rise was 0.8%

From the CPI website "The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) 12-month rate was 0.8% in April 2020, down from 1.5% in March."

Also predicted to be Zero in May.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro

If you read the PN explanation, they are using the CPI figure "published in April" ,which is actually the March figure! 

john4647

However, it is June now so why are they not using the May figure. I wonder what the outcome will be if CPI becomes negative.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening  john4647

I should think the prices remain the same they don't reduce because if there is a minus RPI or CPI for the month which the increase for private pensions implicated the pension does not reduce 

The state pension has the Triple Lock (for how long it lasts) which different

HD

john4647

Not sure what "The state pension has the Triple Lock" has to do with PN prices?Huh

mkkoriba
Hooked

Agree.

Plusnet could have written that their prices will go up  from June 2020 by the RPI in May.

In any event I still maintain that the RPI in April i 0.9%

the email that I got from plusnet says the following:

"From 21st July, we’re increasing the price of your plan in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation, published by the Office for National Statistics in April. The rate is 1.5%."

I think it is reasonably clear that it is mean April ...in which the ONS number is 0.9%