cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premiem rate sms service I didn't sign up to.

Gavjbrown
Dabbler

Premiem rate sms service I didn't sign up to.

Received the below sms and I know nothing about it. I haven't texted stop as Im not sure if that will make matters worse.

Can anyone advise on how to deal with it, I already have a smart cap of zero.

FreeMsg: You have joined discount-alerts costing £4.50 per alert max 3 per month. You can stop anytime by sending stop to 64640. SP Dempan Help?01138275299

5 REPLIES 5
Gavjbrown
Dabbler

Re: Premiem rate sms service I didn't sign up to.

Spelling mistake in title, can't see how to edit Crazy2

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 91

Hello @Gavjbrown,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forum.

I am always the first to advise to be diligent with companies like this so I have in fact gave them a call for you. The name of the company is Dempan Ltd and the number they have provided you with is basically a company that manages many different subscription codes.

They advised that they can't tell me how it any number has specifically been subscribed to service and that in order to cancel you would need to give them a mobile number subscribed to a service, at this point I declined.

At this point it is down to your self if you would like to research the company and contact the to cancel the service. I'd also advise that when you do contact them, maybe ask for the offices address and look it up online (I didn't ask this as the chap was getting suspicious as I refused to give him any details).

We can also check for charges on your mobile bill if you would like to PM us the following details;

Mobile Number.

Full address including postcode.

Full name.

Can you also confirm you are the account holder?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

@SammyM  @Gavjbrown 

Looking up the 64640 number here https://psauthority.org.uk/for-consumers/service-checker

gives a company Kogeron Ltd , registered in Cyprus!

DemPlan Ltd is listed as one of their aliases (on page 2) , also at the same address in Cyprus

As Sammy suggests you will probably have to contact them to get the number removed.

Since PN don't support shortcodes it's not possible to cancel using the shortcode.

I'd also use the 'Report an issue' on the psaauthority site

According to the PSA You should also be able to tell PN to not accept any chargeable texts from this number

This https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6035689/help-im-paying-4-50-a-month-to-a-premium-rate-text-service-an... is an example of someone else being caught up in the same scam

Hope that helps

edit: more info here https://who-called.co.uk/Number/64640

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gavjbrown
Dabbler

Thanks for the information guys, I've phoned them and stopped the texts (hopefully) using their automated system.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for updating us all @Gavjbrown.

Please do let us know whether your efforts have worked and the messages stopped.

(Thanks for your input @MisterW - it's appreciated, as always)