cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred network type (4G recommended) option missing (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 13)

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

Preferred network type (4G recommended) option missing (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 13)

Bit long winded this, so bear with me, but need to give as much info as I can. Basically, the network won't reconnect to 4G after dropping to 3G. Plusnet 3G appears to be set as the "preferred network type" and Plusnet 4G has to be manually selected via "choose network".

It's important to note I have been using this same Plusnet SIM for 4 years in my old Pixel 2XL and I never had any connection issues with 4G. If it lost signal, or signal was poor, it would downgrade connection quality, but always switched back to 4G when available. I have noted via the screenshots below that "Preferred network type (4G recommended)" is missing from the Pixel 7 Pro settings but present on the Pixel 2XL, and theorise that the option is set to 3G as the default in the background. I have tried resetting the network and everything in between, to no avail. Google claim the option is carrier locked and I have even seen a similar thread on the EE forum, where someone tried a GiffGaff SIM which showed the option when the EE one did not on the same handset.

Pixel 7 Pro missing preferred network type option:

Screenshot_20221018-190901.png

Pixel 2XL with preferred network type option:

message-184609236-13720268548530686078.jpg

I am able to use *#*#4636#*#* to get to the phone info screen below, but whatever preferred network I select that makes logical sense (even trying LTE only) doesn't work, I either end up on 3G or lower or have no signal at all. I had already selected 4G manually before entering this menu, hence why it shows LTE. I need to know if this is a carrier issue, or if the phone is possibly faulty. Google are of absolutely no assistance at all. The phone is fantastic, but if it can't switch the mobile data signal automatically when required without me having to force it, it's not really doing what's intended.

Pixel 7 Pro "Phone Info" hidden menu:

Screenshot_20221019-001532.png

Pixel 7 Pro choose network, which I have to do manually to switch from 3G to 4G.

thread-184383142-2301182726112582908.png

26 REPLIES 26
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 66

Re: Preferred network type (4G recommended) option missing (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 13)

@Digitalspirit 

I have a Pixel-5, the same option is missing. Found in the list after after Data warning and limit, it is set to 5G. Mine switches between 3,4 and 5 g with no issues.

I do notice on your setup 'Automatically select network' is not set to ON where mine is. Have you tried turning it on?

I'm with Vodafone with Android 13.

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

Re: Preferred network type (4G recommended) option missing (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 13)

I had to switch it off because it's not actually automatically selecting the strongest network connection! I have to do it manually to be able to select the 4G option if I'm on 3G. The only other way for me to force it to do so after it drops to 3G is to switch on aeroplane mode, when I switch it off it picks up 4G again. Beginning to think the phone is faulty.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I take it the Pixel 7 is not locked, have you got a different providers SIM you can try?

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

It's brand new, unlocked. The phone works fine other than refusing to switch mobile data networks automatically. The SIM works as intended in my old Pixel 2XL. I'm baffled. Unfortunately I don't have another SIM.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Might you have posted the question elsewhere? 

Maybe you need a more up to date SIM card?

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

I would appreciate knowing from plusnet if a newer SIM might address this, I've had this one for quite a number of years?

I've posted on Google community forums only for an obnoxious "expert" to basically say it's my fault, even though I've tried ever conceivable option. Phoned their support, they tried to tell me to clean the SIM. I've just sent feedback via the phone with logs attached. So I've pretty much exhausted every option now other than returning the phone. Pretty fed up right now tbh.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/184383142/network-won-t-reconnect-to-4g-after-dropping-...

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

Just spoke to Plusnet mobile support, they are sending me a new SIM, hopefully that addresses it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Digitalspirit - doesn't help much, but I have a secondary SIM in my Pixel 7 Pro that's provided by Plusnet and it doesn't struggle with 4G/LTE where I'm situated.

Worth noting when comparing the Pixel 2XL to the Pixel 7 Pro that one fairly significant change is the switch to a Google Tensor chip. Tensor uses an Exynos modem that has had some less than stellar feedback to say the least (certainly the case for the version that was used in the Pixel 6 Pro, the Pixel 7 Pro version is slightly newer).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

Once it's on 4G it's fine, it's simply won't select it automatically again once the connection drops to 3G. I've seen other people posting on Google community and Reddit, but it's not a widespread issue, so unless the replacement SIM I am being sent resolves it, I may well have a faulty device.

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

UPDATE: Replacement SIM made NO difference (as I expected).

There's a thread on the EE forum (which Plusnet pigback their service off) for the same thing on Pixel 6, so it's not an isolated issue. The secret menu to select preferred network doesn't really have an impact when I've tried changing to different setting either, so that's no solution to the problem.

I've also seen threads on Reddit (from other Plusnet users) on the same issue from other providers too.

Looks like I have to make a decision to return the phone now, as I don't believe a replacement handset will fix it if it's a hardware/software issue. Makes a mockery of it being a flagship device if it can't even swap data connections by itself.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Hi @Digitalspirit 

Thought I'd let you know I now have a Pixel Pro 7 and the option is not missing on my one.

I am with Vodafone with 5G and from reading some posts the issue you encounter is possibly caused by the provider you are using not providing a 5G service, so not the Pro 7 fault (maybe) but an oversight on the products developers, which can happen (probably)

Dan

Digitalspirit
Dabbler

I had read this may be an issue, but I've also spoken to others on Reddit who are using Vodafone, EE and O2 as well as carriers in the US with the same or similar network issues. The provider I am using is Plusnet (EE), not sure why else I would post it on here otherwise. Anyway, I sent the phone back for a refund, not wasting my time on it when Google can't even get their products to work properly out of the box. The trusty Pixel 2XL will serve me for another year and I'll see what the Pixel 8 has to offer, but I won't be rushing into another pre-order purchase in a hurry again. Lesson learnt!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's deifnitely an odd one. I have a Voda (5G) eSIM in my P7P, alongside a physical Plusnet SIM, and it's been fine. That's across several lenghty rail journeys in and out of the capital as well as Underground travel. If anything is going to test radio reception in rapidly changing environments, then this is a good candidate Wink

Edit: might try completely disabling data on my Voda SIM the next time I'm travelling and see what the experience is like.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, so I definitely spoke too soon.

I've just got back from a trip down south and on my return journey I elected to make my Plusnet SIM primary for data. I saw exactly the issue you're reporting @Digitalspirit.

Definitely no guarantees but I'll see if I can ruffle some feathers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team