cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre emptive suspension of account following Direct Debit change.

kevdwyer
Grafter

Pre emptive suspension of account following Direct Debit change.

I'm currently in the process of rearranging my Banking. As part of that process I am switching the Direct Debit for Plusnet Mobile that came out of a Nationwide account to an account with TSB. I waited until the day after the latest Direct Debit had been taken by Plusnet and then cancelled the DD. On the same day I set up a new Direct Debit with TSB.

This morning I had a text message from Plusnet to say that my account had been suspended. I was out and about in town and trying to arrange a meet up with friends. I was able to find a WiFi signal and use Whatsapp to contact a couple of people and get them to relay a few messages to the people I needed to meet up with.

I've just got off the phone to Plusnet support, the support person confirmed that the Direct Debit had been paid by Nationwide before the DD was cancelled, and she could see that I had set a new DD with TSB. She also confirmed that I was in credit until the end of November, but could not explain why my phone service had been suspended without warning.

I am just astonished that the first reaction from Plusnet was to shut off mobile access, even though I was in credit. They were able to text me to tell me that I had been cut off, surely a text to say that I would be cut off at the end of the current period for which I was in credit would be the logical, and professional way to proceed.

I got it sorted in the end but I'm really miffed. I moved over to Plusnet from GiffGaff a couple of months ago and was in the process of moving my wife and daughter over. I'll probably now be moving back, the ability to make free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls even when you run out of credit can be a real lifesaver.

2 REPLIES 2
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Pre emptive suspension of account following Direct Debit change.

Hi kevdwyer!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

As soon as a Direct Debit is cancelled on the account, it can take up to 2 hours for the system to register that there isn't one present, and will in turn suspend any active services. Although you contacted us to set this back up again, it can then take a further 2 hours for the system to acknowledge that a Direct Debit has been re-activated, and for services to resume. 

It's within the Terms and Conditions to have an activate Direct Debit at all times, if cancelled, services will be suspended. 

If you ever need to change your Direct Debit details again, I would advise to contact us on 500 free from your Plusnet SIM, and update the current Direct Debit details that are already stored on the account. 

- Rebeka 

kevdwyer
Grafter

Re: Pre emptive suspension of account following Direct Debit change.

Many Thanks Rebeka,

I'm one of the few people who don't read through the T&Cs before clicking on "Agree" so I missed the bit about having an active DD 😉