Did you mean: 

Possible porting issue

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Possible porting issue

Deep breath. Could you try turning your phone off for 15 seconds then back on again? 

The porting team believe to have fixed the problem and everything looks good from where they're sat now.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Sorry mate, still the same here. I also tried a Network Settings reset too.

cheers

Andy
webchuzz
Dabbler

Just throwing away a random suggestion - do you have an extra phone (non iPhone)? Can you try your SIM on that phone and see if the issues are still there?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah sorry to hear this Andy. Sad

I've got our porting team looking at it again for you, but in the meantime, I agree that it'd be worth trying a different handset, if possible. If you don't have a spare phone, do you live with anyone and could borrow theirs to try your SIM in? 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys, I have an old iPhone 6 here (still runs latest iOS though), don't use anything else, so can't try another brand (well, I might have an old Nokia 1100 in a drawer somewhere ;-)).

No, that made no difference either. It still got 4G data, but little else.

If I try to phone the number from a landline phone it gives a single tone (can't make out if it's the start of a ring tone or an engaged tone, then it just cuts off to a continuous dead line tone). If I ring from another mobile it says you've dialled an incorrect number.

I've also tried a few different things. If I change the My Number detail in Phone settings from the standard '+44' prefix to a '0' prefix, iMessage actually attempts to verify the connection, but just sits with the progress wheel spinning. If I change it back to '+44' it immediately brings up the 'an error has occurred...' message.

Cheers.

Andy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for trying that! It does definitely seem like a number port issue still.

I've passed on what you've said to the porting team to help with the investigation. 

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Yeeeharrrr! looks like something is happening. I just noticed a short missed call, so tried sending some verification texts, and all is working there now.

iMessage/Facetime still won't activate using the phone number, but IIRC that's something that might take a bit longer to activate on iCloud.

Thank you so much for your perseverance Gandalf, very much appreciated.

Cheers, and have a good weekend.

Andy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Excellent, and cheers again for your time on the phone just now, Andy.

I'm immensely glad that your mobile's finally working normally! Well, bar iMessage and Facetime, but that should hopefully sort itself out soon. Now I can go on my holiday happy and relaxed as I'm about to log off in a moment. Smiley

Just before I rang you, the porting team had emailed me to confirm they'd refreshed your number in the network again, so 3rd time's the charm. If at first you don't succeed, gotta try, try and try again! 

If there's ever anything else you'd need help with, feel free to get back to me and I'll be always happy to help you. 

Have a good long weekend as well! Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Thank you again Anoush. It’s a shame my porting to Plusnet has been tainted by technical issues, but you have made the experience more bearable with your relentless persistence in getting it sorted.

Nothing against you, but I don’t want to be posting again here for a while. At least not with a technical problem anyway. 😁

Have a good weekend.

Andy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not a problem Andy, happy to help in any way I can. Would’ve loved things to have gone smoothly too.

Haha aye, fingers crossed all’s well moving forward. Cheesy

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf,

Just one last update for you read next week, iMessage and FaceTime did also finally activate today, within the 24 hours advised by Apple's Support pages.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Andy
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Wildroverandy 

Thanks a lot for getting back in touch and I'm gad to hear that your iMessage and Facetime services are now back up and running too! I've recently switched providers too, and with iPhones, your new / original number that you've ported in needs to be manually changed on the device itself.

What about normal SMS texts and phone calls? How are you getting on with them?

Our @Gandalf is away at the moment, but I'm sure he'll be glad to know that things are now looking good. Smiley

Let me know if you need anything else in the meantime!

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

Hi Adam,

Thank, yes, all is working well now. No problem with voice, SMS and data connections.

Cheers

Andy

Andy
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

So, I had a technical issue with my number porting. Thanks to the support of the Plusnet guys, in particular Gandalf, it did eventually get sorted. Of course I'm not happy it happened, but whining about it, or getting angry doesn't solve it either.

For all of that, I would like to convey my sincerest thanks to Gandalf, and all others that made sure I did get a working mobile service in the end.

However, I was even more impressed today, as I got a phone call from EE asking if the issues with my service had been resolved. I was not expecting that I have to admit, but it certainly improved my customer satisfaction level.

Cheers.

Andy
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the feedback Andy!

Much appreciated and glad to see that EE's checked in with you to make sure all was okay. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet