Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting EE to PlusNet?

FIXED
zombies
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Porting EE to PlusNet?

I am currently considering switching from EE to PlusNet (as I also have home phone and broadband with PN so it makes sense to save a bit of cash and use the mates rates tariffs) - however, I wonder if this is really a 'switch' and whether the steps I'd have to go through would be the same?

I ask, as I'm well aware PN runs on EE's network, so technically - nothing would change as I'd get my PAC from EE, then give it to PN. My phone would still identify itself as being on EE (as far as I understand it).

Would it also be a safe bet that if I've been with EE for a long time (since before it was EE and was previously Orange), that if I've had no issues with EE calling/texting/data, that I'd also get no issues with PN?

This question is because I live in an area where signal isn't great indoors or out, but I've rarely, if ever - had any issues making/receiving calls, sure a few texts may get lost in the ether or fail to arrive/send promptly, but I simply accept that as poor signal.

If anyone has any feedback or answers to my questions I'd be appreciated Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Porting EE to PlusNet?

Plusnet use the EE network, but the services you receive are not the same. Your phone will identify as being on the Plusnet network (not EE), and won't use all of the EE frequencies, so coverage and data rates may be different depending on your location. I have an EE phone for work as well as my personal Plusnet phone, and the data rate on the EE phone is significantly higher.

You should check your signal strength with other networks before deciding - Three offer AYCE everything for £20pm, which is unbeatable if you use a lot of mobile data. If you don't use much mobile data then the Plusnet deals are pretty good.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@zombies

I ask, as I'm well aware PN runs on EE's network, so technically - nothing would change as I'd get my PAC from EE, then give it to PN. My phone would still identify itself as being on EE (as far as I understand it).

Whilst that's largely true, there are some differences. Your phone will identify as being on PlusNet but that's irrelevant TBH. In addition, PlusNet is an MVNO using the EE network, and as such does not have access to all the facilities of EE. In particular they do not have access to the 800Mhz band which means that 4g coverage could be different in some areas. Check the PlusNet coverage map for areas that you are likely to use. https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/

PlusNet also do not currently support Wifi calling or sending of text messages  to 'short code' (5 digit) numbers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zombies
Grafter

Looking at the coverage map, it says 2G and 4G are 'good' and 3G is 'moderate'.
Given that I'm with EE and it says the same (the joys of being the wrong side of town on the other side of a dip) on its' coverage checker, I'm almost thinking I'd get worse coverage, not better.

To be fair, EE and O2 are the ones that came out with best coverage for the area I'm in, that might not be necessarily true now (it was when we moved here) - so I will do some more digging around.

If it helps, I rarely, if ever - use mobile data as I'm normally at a PC with broadband access and WiFi availability, rarely need it out and about and I'd rather not potentially pay for something I'd simply not use.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

If you don't use mobile data much, then any change in 4g coverage won't affect you to any great extent. There should be no difference in 2g or 3g coverage since AFAIK the 800mhz band is only 4g.

I'd rather not potentially pay for something I'd simply not use.

There's no additional charge for 4g, if its available and your phone supports it then it will use it for data. All the plans include some amount of data usage.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zombies
Grafter

Fix

@MisterW wrote:
There's no additional charge for 4g, if its available and your phone supports it then it will use it for data. All the plans include some amount of data usage.

Sorry, I should've made it clear that I was referring to other plans, such as the one suggested earlier for Three.

I think it would probably be a smart idea to give it a little thought, as the signal here is really quite bad anyway and as far as I'm aware there are no plans to improve it.

Appreciate all your help and suggestions provided in this thread Smiley

dgp
Rising Star

I am in an area with very poor EE coverages and for some reason WiFi calling didn’t work (it kept cutting out as it picked up the EE signal), so EE have given me a Femtocell that acts like a mini-mast in the house and uses the broadband - it is not WiFi calling. It only works with EE as far as I am aware.  Will it work Plus Net? Or am I better off ringing EE negotiating a price-match?

japitts
Rising Star

You've got to make the best choice for yourself, however...

1: EE is a full MNO (Mobile network operator) with multiple add-ons and additional services, all of which have cost implications

2: PlusNet is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that makes cost savings by stripping out additional services, "what you see is what you get" but it can be cheaper.

If the Femtocell you're talking about is the EE "Signal Box", then it should just broadcast an EE 3G2100 signal which any EE-MVNO phone could use. However.. it may well be tied to your EE account, and if the account was to be cancelled then you run the distinct risk of the box dying with it.

You say about WiFi calling not working because EE's signal being picked up... this isn't the best place to be discussing that, but I'd guess you've got an iOS device where recent software versions are set to "Mobile preferred" once the signal is good enough.

There is an independent website you can use to check your EE coverage against individual 4G bands, but I'm not entirely sure the PN forum is the best place for it.

@MisterW wrote:

If you don't use mobile data much, then any change in 4g coverage won't affect you to any great extent. There should be no difference in 2g or 3g coverage since AFAIK the 800mhz band is only 4g.

You're right, 800Mhz is only for 4G, but it's 4G voice & 4G data. You need to have an EE/BT VoLTE device to access it, but you'll get voice coverage as well as data use.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.