cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported number unavailable for 2 days???

fishyweb
Community Veteran

Ported number unavailable for 2 days???

I requested my old number to be ported to PlusNet yesterday. I understand the porting process can take up to 2 days, and there can be disruption while the port takes place. My interpretation of that is that there will be a period of disruption during the 2 day period, at the point when the port takes place.

Well, my number went unavailable 1st thing this morning, so I expected the port to have finished by now, but it has not - my number is still unavailable. I rang CS and have been informed that the whole process takes 2 days i.e. your number is unavailable for up to 2 WHOLE DAYS, rather than a short period during a 2 day period.

This seems ridiculous. I've ported my number between providers a few times in the past, and am pretty sure it has never taken more than an hour or 2 once the number goes unobtainable.

How long has it taken for anyone else's port to PlusNet to take place?

19 REPLIES 19
fixerman
Dabbler

Re: Ported number unavailable for 2 days???

Have you tried switching your phone off and on Again? 

RJM
Rising Star

I ported-over to BT Mobile once and it took nearly 24 hrs..

fishyweb
Community Veteran

Ok, the port has now completed, so thankfully not as bad as CS said might be. Approx 12 hours in all.
HangTen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My number was unavailable for around 4 hours during the porting process - not too bad I guess, considering how busy they must be with new sign-ups and transfers.

I expect the process will be much quicker when the service beds-in and the flood of new customers settles down.

snozski
Grafter

Mines been 24h and counting and im told it wont be done till Monday Smiley  thats 72 hours since number went down on old sim.   Ridiculously bad 

philioso
Dabbler

Same here.

Gave PAC code on Thursday, promised it would be done within 1 working day, explicitly told "this time tomorrow" - which would meet Ofcom regulations I found which say it must happen within 1 working day.

Porting number went dead 24 hours later... and is still dead now (Saturday 12:00).

Many conversations later and I'm been told Monday at the earliest.

It's kinda nice to know I'm not alone - but I've had my number over 15 years and ported it more times that I can remember, with virtually no downtime along the way - so to be left without it for 4 days + really does not inspire confidence.

My number been dead is actually causing some rather big problems now.

joejl

In Plusnet's view:  NOW READ CAREFULLY what is a reasonable gap, (not the total time for porting), in availability of a number being ported? Do you think "up to two days" is the only neccessary answer you have to offer for all questions about porting?  So far the transferring number has been dead for 4.5 hours.

What is a  realistic range of  timescale when a number is totally unavailable? Please don't just say two days! (I have switched on and off several times and will continue to do so). Yes I knew it was up to two days to port a number, and that is not the same thing - the conversation with customer service simply confirming it can take up to two days for the process was/is not a reply to my actual question about the likely length of gap after disconnection by old supplier. I have ported my number several times it has never previously been disconnected for so long. [Started process Saturday. Two working days is Monday and Tuesday. Disconnected by former provider first thing this morning, Tuesday.]

PS Loved advice on one site: "Throughout the process, there should be little or no loss of service. This is because you’ll continue receiving coverage on your old network until the transfer takes place."  not in this case!

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Porting your number in takes up to 2 working days and there can be some interference on the network in the meantime, but this is part of the process when transferring over. 

If you have any queries regarding a port-in, drop me a message and I'll be more than happy to help!

- Rebeka Smiley

snozski
Grafter

I'm gonna report plusnet to ofcom,  my number was dead for 4 days.   and not ported for 5 .  Terrible service.   The worst I have ever experienced.  

LetDownby

Same issues here - They will tell you it's 48 hours - even yesterday on their sales line they told me that!!  

We requested a transfer on the 6th December and the number has still not been ported and they refuse to give us any indication of how long it may be!!  Good job I'm not self employed and relying on the number for my work, but there will be plenty of people who are. 

PLUS NET - I suggest you read the European Telecoms Law (Implemented by OFCOM) which states that a Port should be completed within one working day........Here's an extract for you. 

Porting phone numbers

The new regulations require mobile providers to port customers' mobile phone numbers to a new provider within one working day.

Ofcom implemented this on 11 April 2011 for individual mobile numbers and it is now extended to other customers, such as businesses, who want to port a large number of mobile numbers at one time.

For fixed number porting, switching providers involves certain additional steps, such as measures to ensure that customers are protected from slamming (where a customer is switched to another provider without their permission). Providers will have to port fixed numbers within one working day but only after these steps have been completed.

Providers will also have to pay reasonable compensation to customers should they not port the number within one working day, or if there is an abuse of the porting process.

Providers are able to design their own compensation schemes, but Ofcom will review them after 12 months to ensure that they are adequate. Ofcom has suggested that, as a minimum, compensation should be based on the daily line rental rate.

The revised Electronic Communications Framework is intended to ensure more effective and better rights for consumers. Ofcom's statement confirming changes to its regulations can be found here. Ofcom Chief Executive, Ed Richards, said: "These changes to the regulations should make it easier for consumers to take advantage of the wide range of competition in the UK communications market.

Here's the link if anyone wants to review it further...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2011/changes-to-european-telecoms-l...

philioso
Dabbler

Not sure you can go direct to Ofcom anymore, but if you can't agree with PlusNet you can refer a complaint to CISAS - that costs PlusNet money... free for you. Make sure you follow the PlusNet complaint process though, otherwise they will knock you right back to PlusNet.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

(I got compensation from PlusNet)

Brownlie

Aye. mine was the same, I requested for ported number on Sunday, and my old 3 Sim was cut off today at 1pm, but new sim is not ported with my old number yet.  So I lost my old number in the air since, so people are unable to text me!  But from what I read your message, it seems to me that Plus.net knew there were problem so why they cut off my old sim card today, they should have wait and let me know that there is problem. But they cut it off.  I asked CS, they said I don't know when it will be fix but from this message, it seems that they knew about for 4 days! That is terrible, I asked for complain email, they refused to give me but gave me customer service email instead.  What is going on?

Beejam

Never known porting a number to take 2 days, I've always known it would take 2 working days before it could start , mine started on day one which was yesterday and it has now been 18hrs I've lost my own number but the plusnet number I Don't want to keep is still active how is this happening I thought they usually disrupt at the same time, I hope I am not going to lose my original number
a member of my family was porting a number yesterday to and from a different network ( not plusnet) and it took 3 hrs from start to finish

My number was from 3

pablomalin
Hooked

Mine disconnected yesterday morning (Three), I started the process on the 12th around 13:00, so I assume 2 days from my initial PORT txt message or from old number disconnection? I am disappointed so far, my wife also wanted to join Plusnet but I told her to hold and wait. I had my number for 11 years now and don't want to lose it.. ;(