cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port my number

WXMidlands
Hooked

Port my number

I have not had my number since lunch time. Will it be ported today? I saw the post about porting number. Could someone have a look for me? It is so inconvenient without my number.

I’ve not received a text to say my port’s completed and my mobile number’s stopped working. Why? 

We’re really sorry if this happens.

Sometimes delays happen which are out of our control, for example there may be a delay in your old network releasing your number for us to process the transfer. If this happens, we’ll know about it straight away and we’ll be working to complete the port as soon as we can, so you can be with your number again. 

If we've caused a delay by doing something wrong, you'll be entitled to compensation which we'll apply as a credit to your account. Just let us know if you think this has happened to you.  

If we’ve not been able to complete the transfer as expected, we’ll send you a text and while we work to bring your number across to us as soon as possible, we’d recommend using the number we’ve given you when you first signed up, so you can stay in touch with your friends, family or anybody else.

12 REPLIES 12
WXMidlands
Hooked

Re: Port my number

The number is still not transferred! 

WXMidlands
Hooked

I just contacted customer service and they passed onto operation team but no time frame when it can be resolved.

WXMidlands
Hooked

I have received an email which says I can expect to receive an update on this by 24th Nov. Is this a Black Friday joke?

WXMidlands
Hooked

My bill is here but my number is disappeared. Does anyone know the number to complain? I cannot do my work now. It is a joke about switching!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Mobile support can be contacted on 0800-079-1133

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WXMidlands
Hooked

I have tried the number since yesterday lunch time when my number stopped working.

• I was told it would work at 6pm. 
  • At 6pm I was told it would work before midnight.
  • This morning I was told it would work today.
  • This afternoon I was told it would work with 2 working days.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Number porting is still a surprisingly manual operation. It involves exchanging data files between the new provider,  the old provider and ( If the number has been previously ported)  the original number issuer.

When things go wrong, working out where the problem is can take time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I did port my number, it was a bit of hassle but not too much.

What I did is to give the PAC to the new provider (EE) from Vodafone and I just carried on using the Vodafone SIM until it stopped working (network authentication fail means the port is complete), swapped it over to the new EE SIM and it all worked thankfully. That took about 48 hours, or 2 days as I would say as it is the same thing.
WXMidlands
Hooked

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice.

Finally my number is back. 

I do not mind if it takes time to port. The problem was my number had stopped working for nearly two days. If I could still use my old number, I would not complain anything. Plusnet took the number from O2 so I was left with a temperary number. I could not just give the temperary number to people for work. To check my emails and other work related tasks, I do need my number. Nearly two days I could not do my work. Every time I talked to the customer service and they could not do anything and give me any update. It was really frustrate and disappointing. The Plusnet should definitely not put 'Switching to Plusnet is easy' because it is misleading!

Regards,

W

WXMidlands
Hooked

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice.

Finally my number is back. 

I do not mind if it takes time to port. The problem was my number had stopped working for nearly two days. If I could still use my old number, I would not complain anything. Plusnet took the number from O2 so I was left with a temperary number. I could not just give the temperary number to people for work. To check my emails and other work related tasks, I do need my number. Nearly two days I could not do my work. Every time I talked to the customer service and they could not do anything and give me any update. It was really frustrate and disappointing. The Plusnet should definitely not put 'Switching to Plusnet is easy' because it is misleading!

Regards,

W

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Porting is actually carried out by a separate organisation. It's the same for all the mobile companies - all they do is put a request in and wait. As others have said it's a horribly manual process, which has outlived it's useful life really. The whole system needs to be redesigned to have a central registry of numbers which can be instantly updated - unfortunately what we have at the moment is a system where the original number owner has to change their systems to forward calls and texts from your previous provider to PlusNet.

I've ported my number numerous times over the years and it always seems to go wrong, often resulting in a split port which has to be manually unpicked.

In my view porting should be considered quite a dangerous thing to do, and I would assume it's going to go wrong and have a backup in place for when it does.
WXMidlands
Hooked

During the day I rang the customer service and he agreed there was something wrong with Plusnet system. I do not know whether he was just trying to be polite or he did not know actually porting was carried out by third party as you said.

I'd like to make some backup plans but to be honest it won't be that easy. At the moment most of the systems use two phases authentication. By updating with a temperary number on your accounts it is a big job and then you have to change it back as well unless someone has better idea to share.