cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor mobile signal

stenataar
Hooked

Poor mobile signal

Hi, just joined plusnet mobile having checked that I should be able to get a good signal where I am. However, after my first day I am getting a very variable signal with occasional 3 bars out of 5 and then long periods of No Service. Is anyone aware of any current issues affecting service or is plusnet generally poor. I must say, after only 1 day I am close to cancelling and moving back to Giff Gaff where I never had any problems.
14 REPLIES 14
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Poor mobile signal

As far as I'm aware any mvno supplier should have the same signal strength as the carrier, try https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice which is EE's problem checker webpage.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Your phone might be bouncing between two different masts.

You could try turning the phone off, remove the sim, have a brew (wait about 5 mins if you're not a tea drinker), put the sim back in and turn the phone back on. This can sometimes 'force' the phone to pick the stronger mast.

(Sometimes simply switching it off and on works, plus is quicker than the above)

edit. and the reply above wasn't there at the time I started replying Grin - but this is the 2nd time it's happened Sad

If it still gives a poor signal, you good always speak to Plusnet (dial 500 for free from your mobile) or check on the net for signal strength results from different service providers in your area - not all providers give the same signal strength.

stenataar
Hooked

Thanks for suggestion. Just tried the EE checker and there are no known issues at my postcode and so should be getting a strong signal.
stenataar
Hooked

Tried switching off and on again and now have 1 bar signal. Not what I would call a 'very good signal'. Will try removing SIM and see if that helps. Many thanks for all suggestions so far. Would be good to get this working well.
DS
Seasoned Champion

If it's still poor after the sim out and in, do you have any family or neighbours on EE or better still Plusnet?

If so, you could put your phone and theirs side by side to see if yours reports a lower signal

stenataar
Hooked

No-one else using EE where I am that I know of. We were a giffgaff or O2 family. I am the first to try something different and was swayed by the special offer for existing broadband customers. Will see how it goes when I put my sim back in on a while and then maybe give it a couple of days. I appreciate all the help on here though.
stenataar
Hooked

Ok, sim back in and only 1 bar out of 5 showing. Will see what happens over next day - mobile is new to Plusnet and maybe they have some rough edges to iron out!
DS
Seasoned Champion

That's a shame Sad

I found Vodaphone was the best one for us in regards to signal strength, but their pricing was aimed more at the business market imho so didn't warrant the price and have since jumped from here to there, though none have been as good.

I have to admit we're also currently piggybacking off O2 (not via GiffGaff) and out of the multiple phones here, mines the worst when it comes to the signal strengthAngry

Colin_Maybe
Pro

@DS wrote:

edit. and the reply above wasn't there at the time I started replying Grin - but this is the 2nd time it's happened Sad

That's because my ninja typing skills are better than yours Cool

Colin_Maybe
Pro

I feel your pain as I moved from Giffgaff and O2 are better than EE here too (the others are non existent), there's just no deal even close to PN's on the O2 network unfortunately. Sky's mobile pricing is very disappointing for a 12 month contract.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Oh yeah !!! But I knew you were goin' to write the above message, coz I can read minds !!!!(chews on gum and spits it out)

But I'd blame a PN service that appears to have gone live tonight, as summit aint right since atm Sad

jimmy25

just joined the plusnet two days ago and got the same problem! Was with giffgaff and got 2-3 bar signal in my house but pn got none in my house but outside my house got full signal,  so disappoint!

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi jimmy25!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing loss of signal. We do advise upon sign up, that we can't guarantee full signal due to numerous factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network. 

- Rebeka 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, sounds like EE coverage is poor in your area - which not a lot PlusNet can do.

I changed from Vodafone to EE, from when I got my iPhone in the days when you started using Apps/Data. I found the signal OK, but the calls would drop. Main thing was the data was bad. 

If I were to change network again, I would get a PAYG sim on the physical network, put a £10 on it and make test calls with data. Then see how it goes. Even better if you have a company mobile on a different network, as you don't have to bother Smiley