cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor mobile signal at home

simoncraddock
Grafter

Poor mobile signal at home

Been with Plusnet mobile for a week and I think I made a mistake switching as I sometimes get no signal at home. If this is EE's so called excellent coverage then Vodafone was 4 times better. Do Plusnet do a Femtocell device or an app for voice over wi-fi?

14 REPLIES 14
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Poor mobile signal at home

No they do not

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simoncraddock
Grafter

Guess it's back to Vodafone.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

whereas voda is poor for me..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Lol, Vodafone are totally non-existent for me.

For the OP, there are very simple ways to check these things before switching supplier.

simoncraddock
Grafter

These so called service checkers aren't reliable. 
The EE checker tells me I should get excellent coverage but I'm barely holding on to 1 bar most of the time. 

Capture.PNG

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi simoncraddock!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

The EE coverage checker is a general guide to signal strength in that area and although that information provided may be correct, we do advise that we can't always guarantee good signal indoors due to the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network.

- Rebeka 

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

As Rebeka says the coverage checkers are generalised (they can't be anything else really but are still very useful).

Modern houses use foil backed insulation which will mess with your signal. Vodafone transmits on a lower frequency than all of the others (I believe) which helps to penetrate walls more effectively (especially older, thicker stone walls).

The trick with Vodafone is finding a tower near you Wink

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Also worth checking Ofcom's mobile coverage, can be very different when you compare to the mobile providers coverage checkers

Ofcom mobile coverage

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

In my case the Ofcom checker is more optimistic than any of the Network Provider coverage maps.  Apart from Three it reports 'Good' network coverage for all services up to 4G.  In reality most of the village can only get voice and (sporadic) 2G, but we have to go to the end of the garden to just get voice indoors Nada!

Frustrating.

simoncraddock
Grafter

Ok but there's generalised and way off the mark.

Never mind only a tenner wasted, I've gone back to Vodafone on a package that still suits my pocket.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've found Opensignal to be very accurate for my location.

Unlike all the others that use a computer prediction, Opensignal uses real-time date from real phones.

It correctly shows my home as having a poor signal & correctly shows a good signal 400 metres up the road.

Vodaphone is shown as the poorest of all in my area.

https://opensignal.com/

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bookmarked - most useful for 4g

skination

Had a very irritating chat with a plusnet tech.... re mobile coverage. I was asking why the sgnal has become so poor locally to to my home - it was never good but was at least something...now we are down to next to nothing signal wise.

The tech advised that I check the coverage checkers - yes.... how does that help..it doesn't. so then was told to try an EE signal booster. Contacted EE who recognise that the signal here is pants and this was their reply:

"OK, I have to be honest, the coverage there is not great, and I can't say when or if it will improve. There is equipment available , such as a booster box, however, I can not order one for you, as I can only order on EE account. this is something PlusNet should be discussing with you"

went back to PlusNet who surprise surprise were not able to shed any light on this. My neighbours with O2 and got a pug in booster signal - they now have a great mobile signal in their house and garden.

Seems we need to all go elsewhere...

Rejiiin

No service, not even a single bar on any network except EE on my road (outdoors and indoors) yet o2 app says there is excellent 4g service in my area signal checkers are not reliable