cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor mobile Internet connection

Gingerjet

Poor mobile Internet connection

My broadband connection is very poor. It has a E next to signal which means it is poor and very slow. I got my sim card and put it in just over 24hrs ago. Still had EE sim card (dual sim phone) which did get turned off until 4hrs ago when phone number was transferred. EE gave me a signal of 4G constantly and I had that up until my sim card was switched off. On your website it says I should have 4G when I checked coverage. If you use the EE masts and have the same coverage why do I only receive a E signal and not the same 4G signal I did with EE? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Poor mobile Internet connection

Because PN do not have access to all of the EE frequencies - have a read on here, it has been covered before many times.

Gingerjet

So I have to put up with less than acceptable Internet connection?! It is so poor, won't play any videos and constantly have to refresh to get on a website. EE was 4G (LTE actually) looked online at pn signal for postcode said it would be the best 4G but it's one of the worst! Already been messed about with my home broadband 6 weeks and still not on! Now this really takes the biscuit. I really on my phone broadband for work because they haven't sorted my broadband out now I can't even do work that is needed. Customer service have lied several times to me about the broadband so wonder what lies I'll get when I phone about this tomorrow. Beyond disappointed with pn
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi Gingerjet,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your signal quality with regards to mobile data. We do advise upon sign up that the coverage checker is based upon your outside postcode area and this is just an estimation.

Signal can be affected by a number of factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network.

Our 4G for data uses the 1800MHz band, currently set at 40Mbps as the max speed and our coverage checker does filter out the band that we cannot access - 800Mhz, but is still an estimation to outdoor coverage only. You can find the information for this at the following link: https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/. The 1800MHz frequency doesn’t penetrate buildings as well the 800MHz band, which will be why you're struggling to receive good signal indoors. 

You can try altering your data setting from 4G to 3G only, as 3G uses a different frequency which may help with the signal strength for mobile data indoors.

- Rebeka 

Gingerjet

Done several speed tests and I'm getting 0.05 mbps download and 0.00 mbps upload. It is so bad.
Gingerjet

How would I change the frequency on a Sony phone? I was getting 4G with EE in my property no problem, never had any problems with phone signal at all on my house. I checked on the checker and it is pink and on 4G. I am currently getting 0.05 mbps download with this signal it is unacceptable when I'm paying for the best package.
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Although we use the EE network, Plusnet mobile are a separate entity entirely and as advised above, don't have access to all of the frequencies bands that EE have. EE are an MNO (Mobile Network Operator) and Plusnet are an MNVO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) which means we only have access to the 1800MHz frequency and is less penetrable than that of the frequencies that other MNO's use. 

The coverage checker is only an outdoor estimation of your postcode area and we do advise of this upon sign-up. The checker does not reflect signal coverage indoors or include any factors that may affect this, as all areas vary dependent on weather conditions, tree cover, density of building materials and how many people are using the network; it is not specific to your household.

I cannot advise of the handset settings directly, as we're a network provider and not a handset manufacturer however, I have performed a quick Google search on how to amend your preferred network band. This is as follows:

• Select Apps.
  • Scroll to and select Settings.
  • Select More...
  • Select Mobile networks.
  • Select Network Mode.
  • Select WCDMA (preferred)/GSM to enable 3G and LTE (preferred)/WCDMA/GSM to enable 4G.

If you require any further assistance with the handset settings themselves, I would advise to contact the handset manufacturer directly. 

- Rebeka