Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Call Quality - could it be the SIM

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Poor Call Quality - could it be the SIM

Hi,

I get a lot of reports of poor call quality, I can hear OK but the other party has poor or broken quality from me.  This occurs sometime even though the phone shows a good signal level.  Also tested by using my SIM in a different phone, just in case it's my phone.  So I was wondering if it could be the SIM itself.

Tony S

2 REPLIES 2
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Re: Poor Call Quality - could it be the SIM

@aesmith Hi - It won't be the SIM. The SIM is just a way of identifying you on the network. A bit like a fancy key fob. Chances are that the issue is with the misunderstanding of 2g 3g and 4g.

You see, 2g and 3g are used for SMS and calls. 4g is used for data and is what signal you are seeing on the phone. A service called VoLTE allows your phone to make the call using the 4G internet signal however we don't support that so you are left with needing to us the 3g signal to make the call which is being phased out. This either is affecting your phone or is actually affecting the people you are calling without them knowing as they think they have good signal but in fact it's just a good 4g signal and a week 3g signal.  I'll DM you so you can send me your post code and I'll check to see what the signal is like around you if that's OK. TA

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Poor Call Quality - could it be the SIM

Thanks, it actually didn't occur to me that voice would be using 3G, firstly because voice predates 3G and second because until recently we got voice calls at home but no form of data at all.